DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is there any difference between the retail and educational versions of Vegas Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/142054-there-any-difference-between-retail-educational-versions-vegas-pro.html)

John Mulligan January 21st, 2009 04:07 PM

Is there any difference between the retail and educational versions of Vegas Pro?

I can purchase the educational version through my son's school at a substantial discount, is there any issue with this, such as being able to upgrade, etc?

Mike Kujbida January 21st, 2009 04:46 PM

Other than the much cheaper price, absolutely nothing.
I work for a community college and have been buying the educational versions of a lot of Sony software.

John Mulligan January 21st, 2009 07:11 PM

Hey, thanks, I have purchased Adobe educational licensed software without problem, but didn't know about Sony.

David Ruhland January 21st, 2009 07:40 PM

Check this out

Sony | Vegas Pro 8 Video Editing Software for Windows | VP8Q

I have this version, it doesnt have DVD Architect Pro with it, nor does it ship with a manual, but i downloaded it from the net.

I am totally new to editing so this works great for me. Someday soon ill be buying the DVD authoring software.

Bryan Daugherty January 21st, 2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ruhland (Post 998748)
Sony | Vegas Pro 8 Video Editing Software for Windows | VP8Q

I have this version, it doesnt have DVD Architect Pro with it, nor does it ship with a manual, but i downloaded it from the net.

I am totally new to editing so this works great for me. Someday soon ill be buying the DVD authoring software.

WOW! That's a first for me. I knew they were selling DVD architect pro 5.1 as a standalone but I have never seen a version of Vegas that shipped without it. I have been faithful to Vegas/DVDA since version 5.

To the OP, I think to get the education/student version you have to be affiliated with an accredited school but it is the same software as the full version just an educational discount, if you will.

David Ruhland January 25th, 2009 05:20 PM

Where can i find DVD architect pro as a stand alone? I called sony and they told me i have to buy another copy of Sony Vegas to get it.

Bryan Daugherty January 25th, 2009 09:39 PM

I thought I had read it in a newsletter from Sony Creative, but when I went back it actually says you can now buy a standalone version of DVD Architect 4.5 Studio Edition (aka the consumer version.) Sorry about the confusion, that's the difference between skimming and reading. if anyone is interested in the studio edition, here is the link.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio

Sorry about the confusion, too bad I can't edit that other post...

Andrew Gyles January 25th, 2009 11:53 PM

DVD Architect Pro 5 with Blu-ray disc authoring now available

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty (Post 1001061)
I thought I had read it in a newsletter from Sony Creative, but when I went back it actually says you can now buy a standalone version of DVD Architect 4.5 Studio Edition (aka the consumer version.) Sorry about the confusion, that's the difference between skimming and reading. if anyone is interested in the studio edition, here is the link.

Sony Creative Software - DVD Architect Studio 4.5 - Introduction

Sorry about the confusion, too bad I can't edit that other post...

"Now Available! DVD Architect Pro 5 software with Blu-ray Disc authoring is free to registered DVD Architect Pro 4.5 users. Download DVD Architect Pro 5"

I noticed this today on the Sony site: Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro 8 video editing & dvd authoring software - Free Download

Andrew Gyles

Bryan Daugherty January 26th, 2009 03:13 PM

The pro 5 is an upgrade from the Pro 4.5 that shipped/downloaded with early versions of Vegas Pro 8. I love free upgrades!

John Miller January 26th, 2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mulligan (Post 998630)
I can purchase the educational version through my son's school at a substantial discount, is there any issue with this, such as being able to upgrade, etc?

You won't be able to upgrade it to new versions at the usual upgrade price and you can't use it for any kind of business IIRC.