Sharpening/Unsharp Mask settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sharpening/Unsharp Mask settings

I posted a question here yesterday, but I think my question was misunderstood and the post was moved to the EX1 forum. My question is about getting the most from my camera in Vegas.

I usually use a combination of Detail On settings with my EX1, but have had a few, rare, occasions when those settings have resulted in unacceptable haloing. For those times I have turned Detail off, but I would still like to give the images a touch of sharpening that removes the "haze" present in the Detail Off images.

I am accustomed to Unsharp Mask in Photoshop, but the setting parameters are different in Vegas 8. I have been unable to find sharpening settings that look as good as the in-camera sharpening.

Which FX do you use? What settings? Should I be using something other than Vegas?

Thanks.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sharpening/Unsharp Mask settings

As I suggested in my reply to your original post, I have found that the Sharpen filter only allows a fairly marginal adjustment before you run into pixilation problems. The Unsharp Mask is rather better but far from a complete all-purpose solution. Ben Johnson wrote a useful article in March 2007 which can be interpreted for application in Vegas: it can be accessed at:-

Behind the Unsharp Mask: The Secret World of Sharpening - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

Despite this help I've still found it incredibly difficult to correct out of focus or blurred images and it seems that the only real solution is to get it right at the taking stage. But any practical advice about how to deal with this type of problem would be welcome.

Regards,

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I know I mention these products often (I'm a user but not an employee!) but you may also be interested in http://www.newbluefx.com/video-essentials.html - in particular the Detail Enhancer and Sharpen filters.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ian-Thanks for the heads up on New Blue. I downloaded a trial. So far I am very impressed.

I haven't had much success with the Detail Enhancer. There are many combinations of settings to try.

The Sharpen FX, however, seems pretty amazing. It accentuates small details without adding halos. Zero. Zip. Nada. It pulled out wood grain details that I couldn't see in either the Detail Off or Detail On settings.

I'll have to keep working with it. Thanks.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Glad to help. I have had some great looking results when using extreme settings with both filters together. Not what you'd want in everyday video, perhaps, but useful for stylised title sequences.

I was delighted to learn why the Unsharp mask is so named (you'll have to read through the links to find out!).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...