From V8 to FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

From V8 to FCP?

On an earlier post I asked about importing audio from Vegas render to FCP and the AIFF render worked perfectly. BUT, the video stream I am sending to the studio wont open in FCP. Ive tried many ways to render and open in FCP and the only file that seems to work (with an extra step) is an m2t pulled into Premeire then formatted for Mac and spit back out. I know there is a way straight from Vegas. Can anyone advise? The rendered file from Vegas will be 44 minute HD program sitting on the timeline as m2t's.

Thanks...
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This exactly why I use DNxHD. None of this foolishness handing off to Macs.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes i feel it too, but gotta make it work this time. i think I have it, thanks to Andrew off line. Save As "aaf" and make sure FCP editor has all the source footage and the project file should open in FCP. Will try it.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Perrone, are you saying using the DNxHD codec is possible with Vegas 8 and then useable in FCP? Im wondering if I should be trying this codec. I thought it was for use with AVID only.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Fred, its somewhat slow in Vegas, not sure about other PC based editors. But the codec is free to download on PC and Mac.

Upsides:

10 bit if desired
Free
Universal to PC and Mac
Multiple bit rate/frame rate/frame size

Downsides:

Slow on PC
Have to download and install

Try it. You may love it, or you may hate it. At least it won't cost you anything!
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Wrangler

You could also use Cineform which can be rendered directly from the Vegas timeline. Installing the trial Cineform software on a Mac loads the Cineform codec so FCP can work with the files. If you're only doing simple edits, you could try exporting an EDL from Vegas and re-creating the edit in FCP. Re-wrap the .m2t files to FCP compatible .mov files by using ClipWrap on the Mac.
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
You could also use Cineform which can be rendered directly from the Vegas timeline. Installing the trial Cineform software on a Mac loads the Cineform codec so FCP can work with the files. If you're only doing simple edits, you could try exporting an EDL from Vegas and re-creating the edit in FCP. Re-wrap the .m2t files to FCP compatible .mov files by using ClipWrap on the Mac.
This is true with some caveats:

1. You cannot get a 10 bit file rendering to Cineform inside Vegas

2. You need to use the version of Cineform that shipped with Vegas, or not upgrade it past 3.3.4 I believe. Any further upgrades break Vegas and won't let you render Cineform AVIs.

3. If you are handing off to a Mac then this is fine. If you expect to get a Cineform file back from the Mac for finishing, then both of you need to purchase the software.

4. Cineform does not work in the 64 bit version of Vegas which is mostly what I use these days for cutting.

I'm not saying Cineform is bad, I rather like it. But it presents some challenges for my workflow and budget and right now, I am not able to pay the $499 required to get the version that would work with my EX1 files, and I am not at liberty to ask the people I hnd off to, and work with, to buy Cineform so we can collaborate. So I choose slowness over incompatibility. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...