Vegas on an intel mac - export via firewire to tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas on an intel mac - export via firewire to tape

Here is a bit of a secondhand conundrum somebody might be able to help with.

Vegas is being operated on a Mac. Final Cut Pro is also being operated on the same machine it seems. Export to tape via firewire in FCP works. Export to tape via firewire in Vegas does not.

Is there a routine for making the firewire to camera work when the Mac is running Vegas in Windows.

I'll quote the message I am attempting to find an answer for :-

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Original Message

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
I'm having a problem with my new iMac and after fighting it and asking about it on different forums for almost two months, it suddenly came to mind that you might know what to do because you're so tech savvy with film and editing stuff.

( Writer's note - I wish I was so competent. )

The problem is Sony Vegas "sees" and controls the camera just fine in the capture mode, but it won't let me preview externally (via firewire pass-through), and it won't let me print to tape. It does turn the camera on (Sony Z1U) and starts the record mode, but no video or audio gets through. It's very frustrating.

I've tried different cables, both firewire ports and different cameras. It's always the same.

It was doing the same thing on the OSX side, but FCP has a "refresh camera" option and that cured it, there. I can't find anything similar in Vegas or Windows. Sony tech support is stumped, and Apple just tells me they don't support Windows apps.

24" iMac, 2.86 ghz, 4 megs RAM, Leopard. In every other respect, the machine is awesome.

Do you know anyone else who has come across this, or do you know of any possible fixes?

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Supplemental Message.

I might have confused you: I capture in Vegas and it works fine. I can control the camera completely from the Vegas capture window. It's just printing to tape I can't do.

My workaround, so far, is I move the .veg file and its components to my external hard drive and print from my PC, or I render it as a .mov file and print from Final Cut on the Mac side.

What a pain. Fortunately, not as many stations need tape, anymore. I can just send an mpeg2 file via YouSenit.com

Any advice on a shorter workaround would be appreciated.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I am no windows-on-mac expert, but I have heard that port interfacing when running parallels is very chancey. Bootcamp much better.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm the one for whom Bob posted this. I didn't post it here because I've posted it so many other places, been on so many forums, talked to so many techies from Apple, Sony and Windows that it's making me dizzy. Apple says it doesn't support Windows apps. Sony says its software wasn't designed to run on a Mac (even though I explained I'm running Windows on a Mac), and Windows basically says "we don't know nothin' 'bout no Apples." I was even on that Vegas on-line forum they had last week and the guy from Vegas basically said "Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We need to learn more about our users who have gone over to iMac machines." Thanks for nothing.

As I told Bob: Vegas "sees" the camera. It captures just fine and I can control the camera from the capture window. It just won't preview to an external monitor (via firewire pass-through on a camera) and it won't print to tape. When you hit print to tape, it starts the camera and the little red thing starts to spin making you think it's recording, but no video or audio is getting through.

It did this on the Mac side, as well. But Final Cut has an option to "refresh camera," and that cured it. There's no such option on the Windows side (it does the same thing in Windows Movie Maker and Premiere Pro, too.)

Interestingly, I have a friend who has the same iMac I have (24," 2.86, 4-gig RAM) but his is running Tiger, not Leopard, and it works fine. On mine, Vegas works really well except for this one issue.

I am running under Boot Camp. Parallels doesn't support Firewire.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...