DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Quad core rendering in Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/142503-quad-core-rendering-vegas.html)

Marius Boruch January 27th, 2009 10:21 AM

Quad core rendering in Vegas

I use quad core processor but when I render video, task manager show me that all of my processors are working on 30-40% usage. Why???

Michael Hazzard January 27th, 2009 12:13 PM

Wow! My first attempt at an answer in this forum. It is my understanding that different codecs utilize the cores differently. I typically always output mp2 using BR template, and my Q6000 will show all 4 cores at peak levels.

Perhaps an indication of the codec involved would help identify why?

Marius Boruch January 27th, 2009 12:29 PM

I try different codecs different hard drives and there is no significant difference; that's why I am so confused

Michael Hazzard January 27th, 2009 12:31 PM

I am not at my system right now, but there IS a Project Setting or Prefernence to specify the max. number of rendering threads.

Marius Boruch January 27th, 2009 01:11 PM

I'd appreciate if you could later point me to that setting

Michael Hazzard January 27th, 2009 01:27 PM

This thread gives more detail then I could .....
Why is CPU not going for 100%? - The Digital Video Information Network

Jeff Harper January 27th, 2009 01:32 PM

This is not a new question, and has been beat to death in here previously. This is not an issue, as I recall. You don't want your cores pegging at a high number, if I remember correctly.

Tony Spring January 28th, 2009 03:17 AM

Certain filters do not support multi core rendering. For instance if you apply Mike Crash's noise reduction filter CPU usage will only be 25-30% when rendering. Also make sure dynamic ram is not set to 0.

Dale Guthormsen January 28th, 2009 11:03 AM

Good afternoon,

What would you set yoour dynamic ram for if your computer is primarily an editing machine??

curiously,

how does one use the blu ray template and burn mp2??

Mike Kujbida January 28th, 2009 12:36 PM

Dale, I'm running a QX6700 quad core and, unless I want to do a RAM render, I leave it at the default of 128 and 4 threads.

Michael Hazzard January 28th, 2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 1002484)
Good afternoon,

curiously,

how does one use the blu ray template and burn mp2??

Most all my capture is 1440x1080 HDV files.

From the Tools->BurnDisk->Blu-ray disk, select Video format: <i>mainConcept MPEG-2</i> and Video template: <i>Blu-ray 1440x1080-60i, 25Mbps.</i>

I use Sony PS3 for playback.

Michael Hazzard January 28th, 2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Boruch (Post 1002049)
I'd appreciate if you could later point me to that setting

Options-Preferences->Video tab

Ian Stark January 29th, 2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Spring (Post 1002389)
Certain filters do not support multi core rendering. For instance if you apply Mike Crash's noise reduction filter CPU usage will only be 25-30% when rendering. Also make sure dynamic ram is not set to 0.

Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering why some jobs don't utilise the CPU as much as others.

Now, has anyone ever documented which filters affect CPU usage the most, I wonder? I may well do that on the next rainy day (oh, that'll be today, then).

Edward Troxel January 29th, 2009 08:46 AM

Look at the colors of the little marks beside the effects names. They indicate whether they support float and whether or not they are multi-threaded. The different colors mean different things (which have been discussed here in the past and I've mentioned what they mean in my newsletters).

Ian Stark January 29th, 2009 09:04 AM

For those not sure of what to search for in the forum (as I was - I tried five or six searches before going to Vegas Help), or which of Edward's excellent newsletters to turn to for the answer:

Blue means floating point not supported
Yellow means multithreading not supported
Green (presumably) means OK

It was interesting to note that not one of my third party effects supports floating point. The only effect that shows up as not supporting multithreading is Sony Film Effects, but because there there isn't a colour for 'floating point AND multithreading not supported' it is not possible to tell from these icons which (if any) other effects support neither.

Hence we are still in the dark!