PLEASE HELP! Jagged edges and Motion stutter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PLEASE HELP! Jagged edges and Motion stutter

I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. I have a urgent job to get out and I am having trouble with the quality of the final dvd. It's an 11 disc dvd set and all dvd's came out great, except for one. When I play the final dvd on pc or desktop dvd player, I get horrible jagged edges and stuttering whenever there is motion (panning).

My client used a Panasonic GS500 (pal) camcorder to film and it is in 16x9. I am editing in Vegas and using dvda for the final dvd layout and burn. The final video needs to be in 4x3

My vegas project settings are:

Template: Pal dv widescreen (720x576, 25fps) (Have tried Pal dv -4x3 also without success)
Field order: Lower field first
Rendering quality: Best
Motion blur type: Gaussian
Deinterlace method: Interpolate fields

My rendering settings are:

Save as: MainConcept MPEG2 (for dvda)
Constant bitrate: 7,500.000 (Have tried Variable bitrate of 8,500,000/8,000,000/4,200,000 also)

While editing, everything looks great, but final result looks terrible.Looking forward to hearing from you. thanking you in advance.
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds (to me) like you have an interlaced issue (maybe the field order got swapped by accident on that Vegas project or DVD's settings somewhere?). I call it Venetian Blind effect and you will see sawtooth like edges to hard upright lines especially when panning. Sometimes you can accidentally swap the field order over when cropping in with Vegas, depending on whether or not your top line of the crop is an odd or even line etc. This is one reason why I only ever shoot and edit in progressive now, it gets rid of all the de-interlacing time and potential problems that can occur.

Do a quick search in this forum using the word interlaced and you should pull up lots of helpful threads.

Hope this nails it and good luck!
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Andy. I checked all the settings in Vegas and DVDA and it is the same as all the others that are working perfectly.

The source footage is 16x9 and the final dvd is in 4x3 (edited on a 4x3 timeline). I went into Vegas and went to cropping and panning and selected "Match Output Aspect" and the jagged edges and stuttery went away. Two things happened though: the 2 black bars at the top and bottom of the screen has disappeared and a slight zoom was applied. But the funny thing is, the quality is actually still good.

This is more of a band aid solution rather than finding the root of the problem, but the client might just accept it if all else fails.
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Glad it's sorted. Maybe one of the Vegas gurus can tell you what was really happening...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...