Vegas M2T audio peak issue... a fix! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM   #16
Trustee

1.) When I've seen this problem in Vegas was when feeding it non-compliant mpeg2 streams originating in other apps. I have not had the problem with .mxf files from ClipBrowser.

2.) Whether we agree VideoRedo is worth the money or not, (I personally think it's overpriced), what is true is that it has a solid following of supporters who swear by its ability to repair non-compliant streams. I do have and sometimes use VideoRedo. I don't think it ever re-encodes anything, in fact it doesn't have any codecs. It patches headers and converts between similar containers like transport stream, program stream and muxes/demuxes. As such, it's a useful utility, and can make simple cuts for editing.

3.) If you work with mpeg streams, you're going to find that Vegas doesn't have all the tools for every situation, for example it can export ac3 but not read it from the timeline. That's where the other utilities come into play, Womble, VideoRedo, TSmuxer, TMPGEnc etc, each supplementing something minor and unique.

4.) TMPGEnc Xpress is an actual collection of encoders. Without turning this into a discussion on the merits or value of one product or another, let's just accept that VideoRedo is widely regarded for its quickstream fixer which just repairs problems in the headers, timecode. I don't see VideoRedo as a competitor for TMPGEnc Xpress.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I'm not precisely sure why you want to import native m2t files. If, indeed, all you're doing is cuts, then I can understand, as you're saving yourself an extra step of rendering. However, if you're doing any re-rendering, i.e. color correction, FX, or transitions, I would encourage you to transcode your footage to an intra-frame compression codec prior to doing so. M2t format is really not re-render friendly, despite the processing power of modern cpu's. You will incur image degradation with every re-generation.
I have reasons why I edit native HDV... mainly due to storage space and the number of projects I have going on at one time. Drive space is not much of an issue currently and I plan on doing cineform... all this is besides the point. MY system cuts HDV excellent. Realtime preview even with normal fx applied... in fact, magic bullet only drops preview to about 18-20 fps and I'm showing a 720p preview image on 2nd monitor along with scopes and all. I don't know what you are talking about re-rendering it. I don't re render it. After fx applied, I don't render... I don't render until final output.

I'm not sure what all this is all about. I posted a solution to a problem that several people have and I feel that some of you on here are trying to insinuate that I'm doing stuff wrong, like this post... re-render? I import the HDV. Edit it. Render out to AVC for blu-ray and or sd mpg for sd dvd. NO RE-RENDERING EVER DONE.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
I import the HDV. Edit it. Render out to AVC for blu-ray and or sd mpg for sd dvd. NO RE-RENDERING EVER DONE.
If you're going from 1440x1080i HDV to 1440x1080i AVC, then it would be an encode and not a render. If you're going from HDV to SD MPEG2, then it is both a render and an encode. "Render" and "Encode" are not interchangeable terms.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM   #19
Sponsor: JET DV

I agree with Jerome here. He posted a solution to a problem. The solution could be helpful to other people. Thanks also to those who posted other programs that may also help in this situation but there's no need to insinuate that one given solution is any less worthy and any other solution unless there is clear evidence to that. In this case, it sounds like both mentioned programs are basically doing the same thing.

Anyway, I believe we've all had our say now. Case closed.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...