Can't rename files after capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Can't rename files after capture

Keep getting the message that my file is in use by another application when I try to rename the clips after capture. Won't let me rename them. In this case, I'm capturing VHS material via a firewire deck conversion. I've closed the capture application but this issue still persists.

Vegas 8
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you tried renaming them in the capture app via the "post capture dialog box"? Are you trying to rename them via the explorer pane or in the project media pane? (I have had good results renaming in the project media pane.) Are you trying to rename the files before the peaks are built or after?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
Keep getting the message that my file is in use by another application when I try to rename the clips after capture. Won't let me rename them. In this case, I'm capturing VHS material via a firewire deck conversion. I've closed the capture application but this issue still persists.

Vegas 8
Every once in a while I'll try to rename or move a file and will have Windows XP32 SP3 tell me the file is in use. If I pop up Task Manager I will sometimes discover an app I thought I had closed is still running in the background.

In my case rebooting the machine fixes the problem and I continue.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree and would think rebooting should allow you to move forward, I have the issue from time to time in other apps, they just don't want to let go.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Major Player

thx to all for the replys

Seems to happen to the last clip I capture. Then, mysteriously, after doing other things in Vegas, I'm able to rename the clip.
Trying to rename in the project media tab
Using non-controllable device capture so advanced capture window seems unavailable to name ahead of time.
Don't think "building peaks" is applicable cause I'm working in DV not HDV. Am I wrong?
Re-booting seems a little extreme since I capture a lot. This shouldn't be a requirement to use this program? Nothing else is running cept' Vegas. It seems that the capture program is hanging up or something even though i close it.

Using Windows Vista
Vegas 8
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

DV files "build peaks" too. If you tried to rename it while peaks were being built, I can see where it would not let you. It would make sense being the last file as well.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Major Player

You should see a notice in the status bar (lower left of vegas window) indicating import of the clips (building peaks) into vegas. I have had issues before with the capture interface hanging up after prolonged captures. CTRL-ALT-DEL and forcing the capture to shutdown usually works too. Also if you are capturing DV then under preferences (options -> Preferences -> Capture tab) select the "display post capture dialog box after capturing video." If you capture manually in the capture (not advance capture) mode than you will get a pop-up at the end that allows you to rename each file by right clicking or change the subname by selecting rename all. Works whether you have device control or not.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Major Player

OK, I'll check these things gents.

thx for the tips
David Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...