DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Contour Shuttle Pro Controller Review by Ed Troxel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/14320-contour-shuttle-pro-controller-review-ed-troxel.html)

Chris Hurd September 9th, 2003 03:40 PM

Contour Shuttle Pro Controller Review by Edward Troxel

Edward takes this jog-shuttle dial for a spin in Vegas; read all about it right here. Enjoy,

Rob Lohman September 9th, 2003 04:13 PM

I'm very interested in this... I hope to try this one or a similar
device as well in the future. Looks very interesting and handy
for editing!

Jeff Donald September 9th, 2003 04:14 PM

I have one for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Harry Settle September 9th, 2003 05:15 PM

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago. Coupled with excalibur, tsunami, and a wheelmouse. . . I'm done editing before I finish my captures.

Peter Wright September 11th, 2003 10:03 PM

A co-incidence this week resulted in my acquiring a Shuttle Pro.
After reading Ed's review, I was in exactly the same boat - I'd heard many raves about it but had never got round to trying it.

Last night after the second meeting of Perth VUG (West Oz) I noticed one in a box - we held the meeting at a member's equipment supply/edit studio premises, so I asked him what it was like. Take it home and try it, he said, and I've bought it already.

I'd love to hear how others configure their buttons for Vegas - I see you're still deciding Edward - let us know. One I've just done is button 5 - second row extreme left - Post Edit Ripple, replaces Ctrl - Shift - F. Wonderful.

The jog and shuttle respose is sensational.
From frame-by-frame to 20X speed so easily.

Any other favourite custom buttons?

Peter

Edward Troxel September 12th, 2003 07:07 AM

I can honestly say I still haven't fully decided. Across the top, I have:

Prev Edit Point - Tsunami - Excalibur - Next Edit Point

Since I do a lot of 3 camera edits with Excalibur, I'm leaning toward making the first 3 buttons on the second row "Camera 1", "Camera 2", and "Camera 3". I may make the last two "Previous Marker" and "Next Marker".

John Locke September 12th, 2003 07:54 AM

I'm assuming you'd have the mouse and controller plugged in all the time, and just move the controller aside when not editing video...is that right? I've found the extra USB port on the Cinema display to be finicky about what it'll allow to be plugged into it (freezes the mouse sometimes). Anyone experience problems like that?

Jeff Donald September 12th, 2003 08:53 AM

Try using the keyboard USB port. I use a trackball mouse and shuttle pro at the same time with no problem.

Harry Settle September 12th, 2003 02:40 PM

Ok Ed, how do you do it? How do I get a button assigned to look for a specific track? Cam 1, 2, etc. . .

Edward Troxel September 12th, 2003 02:49 PM

What mine will do is (for camera "A" for example) do a:

MA<enter>

This will set the edit point for Excalibur to switch to camera A. After all the edit points are set, Excalibur will create the master track.

M - set a marker on the timeline
A - the camera name
<enter> - accept that name (close the edit box)

BTW, I just found a shuttlepro_button_labels.pdf file (if anyone is interested). I downloaded it from somewhere and have it on a CD.

Peter Wright September 12th, 2003 07:04 PM

I'd like the .pdf please Edward. (ariad[at]iinet.net.au)

I wondered if there was a template - it seemed a shame to make such a smooth machine look tatty with handwritten button labels.

I have printed 5, but it was very much trial and error - I scanned the sheet, including blank buttons, then used this pic as a guide to position text in MS Publisher, but the paper size was non-standard, which made it hard for my printer to line up consistently. To get 5 successes has cost me 11 failures so far ...

Peter

Graham Bernard September 22nd, 2003 03:57 PM

Been using the CSP since March this year - Outstanding device! - I still need to get to grips with making my own CSP Profiles. Once I can do this, I can then make several V4 CSP Settings Profiles.

Grazie

Edward Troxel September 23rd, 2003 07:24 AM

It appears that buttons can't be assigned multiple keystrokes. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Harry Settle September 23rd, 2003 11:48 AM

That's the problem I was having trying to figure out how you stopped, marked and labled a or b.

I ended up using a button for Mark In, another for A, Another for B. So, on my lower 5, I have Mark in, A, B, move to beginning, move to end. Worked well for me on the last edit, but, still experimenting.

Edward Troxel September 23rd, 2003 12:29 PM

I guess I could do that. First button "M", next three "A", "E", & "J" but I don't know that that would be any faster than just using the keyboard.