DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Problem with Preview on 2nd Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/143786-problem-preview-2nd-monitor.html)

John Ashplant February 14th, 2009 02:09 PM

Problem with Preview on 2nd Monitor

I am trying to use an external monitor (which is actually an LCD TV with VGA input connected to a USB VGA adapter) for previewing from Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9. Windows XP is quite happy with my 2nd monitor. I have set the preferences to "windows secondary display". However, when I start the movie, it displays full screen on the computer monitor, not the secondary monitor.

(By the way, I am editing HDV video otherwise I'd monitor via Firewire and DV Deck).

My desktop is extended across the two monitors and the "Identify Monitors" button correctly identifies 1 and 2, but the 2nd monitor is not listed in the "Display Adapter" dropdown list, only monitor 1, my main monitor.

So Windows XP sees my 2nd monitor but Vegas does not. It's driving me barmy as I bought the USB VGA adapter specifically for this purpose.

Any ideas how to solve this one please?

Thanks

John Ashplant February 15th, 2009 12:59 AM

Have answered this myself. I think Vegas decided the USB-VGA adapter was not up to the job and I am now embarrassed to report that my video card has two outputs after all. I had not really checked but sort-of-remembered one was VGA and one DVI. I suppose IŽd assumed they were not separate outputs, just mirrored at both ports.

With the aid of the DVI-VGA connector (which came with the VGA adapter, at least I've used that) I've connected my LCD TV to the other port, and now Sony Vegas sees it and is quite happy to use it as an external preview monitor

Anyone want to buy a USB-VGA adapter?!

I was wondering whether, if I were to spend more on the video card, I could expect a better-quality preview? It's a bit clunky at the moment. (Now I'm getting picky).

John

John Adamczyk February 15th, 2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Ashplant (Post 1012276)
Have answered this myself. I think Vegas decided the USB-VGA adapter was not up to the job and I am now embarrassed to report that my video card has two outputs after all. I had not really checked but sort-of-remembered one was VGA and one DVI. I suppose IŽd assumed they were not separate outputs, just mirrored at both ports.

With the aid of the DVI-VGA connector (which came with the VGA adapter, at least I've used that) I've connected my LCD TV to the other port, and now Sony Vegas sees it and is quite happy to use it as an external preview monitor

Anyone want to buy a USB-VGA adapter?!

I was wondering whether, if I were to spend more on the video card, I could expect a better-quality preview? It's a bit clunky at the moment. (Now I'm getting picky).

John

no you wouldn't get a better quality preview since preview is dependent on the cpu

John Ashplant February 15th, 2009 03:16 PM

Ok thanks, John.