DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Problems With DVD Architect 2 DVD's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/144403-problems-dvd-architect-2-dvds.html)

David Parkway February 23rd, 2009 12:15 AM

Problems With DVD Architect 2 DVD's

Hello,

I am using Vegas 5 in conjunction with DVD Architect 2. I bought them as a bundle a few years ago. In the past, everything worked fine, and my DVD Architect authored DVD's played well in DVD players and DVD drives on computers. I am working in SD.

Over about the past year or so, the DVD's I make with DVD Architect just plain do not work. I cannot think of anything I am doing differently than in the past. The burns are completed successfully in DVD Architect, using files I edited in Vegas. I can visually see that information has been burned onto the DVD's. But no DVD Player or DVD drive will recognize them as playable DVD movies. I have tried both menu based and single movie versions. I have reinstalled DVD Architect numerous times. I have tried installing it on various computers, using different DVD burning drives. My DVD drives are all fine. I have tried different brands of DVD's. And wasted countless amounts trying to get this to work.

Clueless here, and wondering if anyone else has encountered something similar. I really don't want to have to dish out more cash for other software or upgrades. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

David

Edward Troxel February 23rd, 2009 08:25 AM

Unfortunately, multiple things could be the cause. First thing I'd check, have you switched to a different brand of media? Not all media is created equal and it's wise to stick with quality media (most like TY or Verbatim best).

Michael Hutson February 23rd, 2009 08:34 AM

David,

I may recommend going to sony website and download a trial version of dvda and try it and see if the problem goes away. This may help you determine if it is a "program issue"

Mike Kujbida February 23rd, 2009 10:00 AM

Do you have another burning app you can try?
Use DVDA to "prepare" the files but use a different program to do the actual burning.

Danny O'Neill February 23rd, 2009 10:46 AM

I never burn in DVDA, it failes 9 times out of 10, so I prepare in DVDA and burn in Nero.

Have you tried burning in another app, could be your drive on its way out.

Jeff Harper February 23rd, 2009 01:44 PM

Despite what you say you have tried, look harder at your burners. You are doing something differently, or something has changed. You just haven't found what it is.

Burners can play fine but as they age they will not burn properly after awhile. Some burners never work properly. I bought two highly rated Samsungs in a row last year and neither one ever worked correctly on a consistent basis, and I've always used only Tai Yuden media.

I went through several different DVD burners last year until I found the Sony external USB burner and a Pioneer internal burner, and its been like night and day.

I personally burn hundreds of discs a year and since I switched to two different burners, coasters have been a thing of the past.

I use DVDA weekly for all DVD projects and they come out perfectly.

I burned a DVD a few weeks ago on the Pioneer and it wasn't right, and since then I've burned everything on the external. I don't know why it works so well. External doesn't mean better, and I know that. But in my case it really does work much better.

Don Bloom February 23rd, 2009 03:54 PM

Strange. I've been using DVDA since version 1 and have been using 3 without problems since it came out. As Edward said TY or Verbatim have always given me quality DVDs so I'm wondering if perhaps in the burn menu it's defaulting to ISO and not DVD. I know in 3 everyonce in a while this happens to me so I just have to be aware and make sure I'm not burning to ISO.

David Parkway February 23rd, 2009 08:39 PM

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

-Different brands of DVD's, check. I've tried a bunch. And I'm also trying DVD's from batches I have that used to work fine.

-My DVD drives, they work fine for burning anything else from any other program.

I didn't realize I could prepare the files in DVDA and burn with another application. I figured they had to be burned with DVDA to make a proper playable movie DVD. I'll give this a try.

David Parkway February 23rd, 2009 09:03 PM

I don't believe it. Danny's suggestion worked. First try. I prepared in DVDA, and then burned with Sonic software that came with my PC. Crazy.

One other thing I guess I'll mention about trying to burn with DVDA: when I get to the window which says, "Make DVD - Select Burn Parameters", there are two options:

-Burn DVD

or

-Test only (do not burn DVD)

For whatever reason, I can never choose "Test only" anymore, it is grayed out and not selectable. I can remember in the past, I could select this option.

Don, can you explain what you mean by ISO as opposed to DVD? Maybe this is the issue? Thanks.

Edward Troxel February 24th, 2009 08:06 AM

An ISO file is a single file containing the contents of the DVD instead of getting the Video_TS and Audio_TS folder and all the contents of those folders as separate files.

If I'm going to burn with another program, I typically just go ahead and prepare to the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders. I then point the other burning program to those two folders.

Either creating the folders or creating an ISO file works fine.