DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   m2t files choppy in Vegas 8 - please help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/144833-m2t-files-choppy-vegas-8-please-help.html)

Leslie Davis February 28th, 2009 05:57 PM

m2t files choppy in Vegas 8 - please help

I'm still new to video editing. I just captured my first wedding via HDV. I also just upgraded from Vegas 6 to Vegas 8. But I noticed that when I take the m2t files into Vegas, they are very choppy. I've been reading on here or on the vasst site that if using HD you should download Connect HD (for Vegas) as an intermediary codec. Did I get that right? How does that work? Or do you have any other ideas?

Dave Blackhurst February 28th, 2009 06:19 PM

sometimes reducing the quality in the preview window helps a lot - I keep that setting pretty low while rough editing, only turn it up when absolutely needed... then you have to live with some choppy-ness. HDV will run fairly smooth on a dual core, AVCHD is a quad core minimum, although if you want to torture yourself, you can get away with a dual...

Dale Guthormsen March 1st, 2009 01:03 PM

Leslie,

Good advice to reduce preview. Make sure you have leaned down your machine so its not running extranious programs.

Can look at Gearshift and Neoscene for intermediaries too. There are a few threads on this if ytou look them up.

Leslie Davis March 2nd, 2009 09:41 AM

I have checked my preview window. It is set on draft auto. From what I understand intermediaries change the format of the file to avi (making them smaller). Is that right? Is this ever a problem later? I don't know if this helps at all. But on the vegas forum, I read that if the format of the file is the generic mainconcept format (which vegas 6 makes every hd file) than it can cause this. Do you know of any solutions? (I'm also having a problem with Vegas crashing alot) I did upgrade to vegas 8.

Chris Barcellos March 2nd, 2009 11:54 AM

Leslie:

You haven't described what your system is either, and that can make a difference. A slower system will not preview as well. Remember, that with .m2t, your processor has to compute and complete 14 out of every 15 frames and throw that into the video stream.

If you bought NeoScene for $ 129, or even cheapter at one of the sponsors here, you would actually capture to Cineform's latest codec, and not have to go through a conversion process. The benefit of Cineform is, even though you have a 3x or so larger file, it edits easier and handles color correction easier. Depending on your system, and of course how much VideoFX you add, you will probably see all frames in Draft, if not in the Best preview level..

Jeff Harper March 2nd, 2009 02:37 PM

Leslie, M2t files just don't play in preview as well as SD, as Chris says.

There are three options I know of:

1. Download a trial of Neo Scene and try it out.

2. Download a trial of VASST Gearshift which I have used and works wonderfully.

3. Upgrade your system to a faster processor. I just upgraded to an i7 and the files behave the same as SD files now, and I don't have to use Gearshift or Neo Scene, and my rendering times for HD are 4x faster.

Remember if you stick with your present computer, if you render M2t files the rendering times are very long, but much shorter with the new i7. I was happy with Gearshift, but my rendering times still looked to be quite long, (I wanted to render from the M2T files) so I upgraded my processor and now all is well.

Leslie Davis March 9th, 2009 03:01 PM

Ok, here's my system info: (I'm not really sure what information you need so ask if I didn't cover it):

Computer wise:
Intel Pentimum 4 Processor 540 3.2 Ghz/800FSB/1M Cache
1 GB DDR400 PC3200 Non-ECC Memory
Serial ATA Hard drive 200GB
ATI Radeon 9250 256MB AGP Card
2 Maxtor external hard drives (120 and 500GB)

Camera:
Panasonic PV-GS200

Oh yeah, the m2t files that I'm editing was captured on a Canon XH-A1.

I've been reading up on the processor...and I think I need to update to at least a duel or quad core processor. I'm looking at buying the Panasonic AG-HMC150 and according to what Dave said earlier...I'll need at least a dual core to edit the AVCHD files.

Hope that covers it. Oh yeah: I'm using Vegas 8.

Do you think the processor is the problem?

Jeff Harper March 9th, 2009 04:49 PM

Pentium 4 is way outdated for HD...it is normal for your m2t files to play poorly.

If you can't upgrade your PC, try a demo of the VASST program called Gearshift; it will help a lot.

If you can upgrade your computer, go for an i7 processor and at least 650watt power supply, preferably more.

Leslie Davis March 9th, 2009 05:27 PM

Ok, I'm looking at updating my PC. Is it difficult to upgrade my processor? What kinds of things do I need to check to make sure they are compatible with the new processor? I'm looking at the i7...it looks pretty sweet! :)

Jeff Harper March 9th, 2009 05:59 PM

It can get complicated to upgrade.

You will need an new motherboard, CPU, RAM and probably a new power supply.

Depending on your case you might want to upgrade that too. If your case is an HP, Dell, etc., you will definitely need a new case.

If you know nothing about the upgrade process, you could go to say a place like microcenter and choose your components and let them assemble it for you. But that has plently of its own pitfalls.

You could go below, pick your PC and you'd be getting what appears to be a pretty good deal. The systems below are made with decent components and you could do a lot worse!

I'd go for the $1735 system, and you could even overclock it. I don't know the company...can anyone else speak for them? I just stumbled upon them, but the deals appears to be much better than what Dell is churning out, much better quality.

Intel i7

Leslie Davis March 17th, 2009 10:37 AM

When I was looking into upgrading, my computer completely crashed. I've spent the last week working on it and trying to recover all the data that I had on there that hasn't been backed up yet....that was scary! But I got it! WHEW!

I'm still looking at upgrading, but I think I'm going to have to go with the NeoScene trial for now since it will take a while and I have videos that need to go out.

Will NeoScene intermediary work (for now) to make Vegas 8 handle these m2t files so that I can get these projects done? Or is Gearshift better?

Did you update your computer yourself? Any complications?

Jeff Harper March 17th, 2009 10:50 AM

I personally found Gearshift to be better for my needs, but both products are excellent.

Neo Scene captures files that you can work with, but they are quite large.

Gearshift converts already captured footage, and the intermediate files are smaller, but you have in effect two copies of your footage, which also takes up space. You can when done working either delete the original or the intermediate files. If you are outputting to non-HD you can delete the original files.

Neo Scene, I believe, doesn't convert already existing footage.

You can download demos of both. I personally used Gearshift effectively. I captured HD, work with the intermediate files it created, then replace the intermediate files just before rendering with the original HD files for optimal quality. This is all done for you by Gearshift with a click or two, so it is simpler than it sounds.

Leslie Davis April 1st, 2009 03:38 PM

I downloaded the Gearshift demo but honestly haven't had much chance to use it...I've been dealing with some major computer problems.

I'll let you know if I have any questions when I get back up and running.