DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Core i7 + Vista 64bit + Vegas Pro = strangeness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/144913-core-i7-vista-64bit-vegas-pro-strangeness.html)

Sam Renkin March 2nd, 2009 08:08 AM

Core i7 + Vista 64bit + Vegas Pro = strangeness

I've just begun working on my first SD edit using my relatively new Dell XPS Studio 435MT desktop. For those of you familiar with this machine, it's got an i7 920, 6GB RAM and an eSATA port on the back. I loaded it up with Vegas Pro 8.1 and DVDA for 64bit, Quicktime Pro and purchased a 1TB external eSATA drive (Fantom, less than $100 from Newegg). I'm using my existing Dell SP2008WFP monitor and keyboard with the new computer via DVI KVM switch.

I've noticed a few strange differences and a problem on this arrangement vs my existing Dell E7200 powered machine;

1. I had a very difficult time getting Vista to recognize the external drive. When connected, the drive appeared in BIOS but not in Device Manager or My Computer. It was only when I connected it using USB that the driver loaded. I reconnected the eSATA port and it worked - for 1 day. The next day I booted my machine and now the drive will only work with USB and won't even appear in BIOS. Dell XPS tech support spent about 2 hours on the phone with me, trying all sorts of things. Now they say I need to reinstall Vista. Would LOVE to hear some advice from you on that!

2. There seems to be a limit on the size of the preview window in Vegas Pro 8.1 and/or on this machine. In 32bit 8.0, I could drag the tracks down and stretch the window to almost any size. In 8.1 it seems to be limited to the size of a 4x6 photo (actual). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sam

Edward Troxel March 2nd, 2009 08:28 AM

Can you better explain #2? If I'm following you, I'm don't believe I'm seeing that. But I'm not sure I'm following exactly what you're saying. Perhaps you need to right-click the preview screen and pick "Scale video to fit preview window"?

Sam Renkin March 2nd, 2009 09:58 AM

I'll get back to you at lunchtime - gotta run to an appt.

Sam Renkin March 2nd, 2009 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I did a screen cap of each computer to show the difference in preview window sizing.

The first image is my E7200 PC running 32bit Vegas Pro 8.0c. I have opened an untitled project @ 720x480, and have dragged the tracks down and the project media/main mix window to the left. The preview window has increased to 1246x685.

The second image is my i7 PC running 64bit Vegas Pro 8.1. I have dragged the tracks and project media exactly the same. The preview window remains at 655x480 and goes no larger.

What am I missing here? Thanks!

Jeff Harper March 2nd, 2009 03:33 PM

Your esata issue is probably related to your PC, not Vista.

Jeff Harper March 3rd, 2009 12:39 AM

For your preview right click on the window and make sure "scale preview window" is checked.

Sam Renkin March 3rd, 2009 07:30 AM

Thanks Jeff, I'm on it!

Tom Miller March 8th, 2009 08:01 PM

i talked to Sony trouble shooting i was told that Vegas is not compatible with Vista 64bit. i don't know what there talking about i run Sony Vegas on my Vista 65bit laptop it seems to work fine expect for editing text. as far as preview size i have not had a problem

Sam Renkin March 9th, 2009 05:51 AM

Jeff - thanks, your tip did the trick!

Tom - Vegas Pro 8.1 is compatible with Vista 64-bit. Not sure why Sony would have told you otherwise?

Edward Troxel March 9th, 2009 07:02 AM

Tom, I guess it depends on WHICH version of Vegas you're talking about.

Jeff Harper March 9th, 2009 07:35 AM

Actually Sam, I just saw that Edward had already made "my" suggestion before I did, I guess neither one of us saw it!