DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   vegas 8, vista 64 and bullet looks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/145182-vegas-8-vista-64-bullet-looks.html)

Ian Planchon March 5th, 2009 11:27 AM

vegas 8, vista 64 and bullet looks

I am trying to render out a 4 minute project and it keeps stalling out at 73 percent. I have rendered it out once before, since then added a couple different shots. its got grading throughout the entire piece. the shots I added are no where near where its stopping. what should I be looking for?? I am gonna try rendering without mbl, I am sure thats whats slogging it down. anyone else having issues rendering with MBL? I am using a new asus laptop, 4gb ram, vista 64 vegas 8.0c

Jeff Harper March 5th, 2009 11:29 AM

Can you try rendering to a different hard drive and see what happens? That's what I would try first.

Ian Planchon March 5th, 2009 11:32 AM

I have been fighting vista since I got it, I am trying to render to my external, but it wont let me, says I need admin permission,but I am the admin. any idea how I go about giving permission??

Ian Planchon March 5th, 2009 11:39 AM

whoa, correction, I never caught on to the fact that it was 32bit, not 64 bit. dont know why my brain thought it was 64.

Jeff Harper March 5th, 2009 11:58 AM

Do you have User Account Control turned off? If so, that could be your problem.

Turning off UAC can create a host of issues...including permissions issues.

BTW, I had enough issues that I actually ended up reinstalling Vista...as turning UAC back on didn't undo all of the problems.

Steven Reid March 5th, 2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Planchon (Post 1022775)
I am trying to render out a 4 minute project and it keeps stalling out at 73 percent. I have rendered it out once before, since then added a couple different shots. its got grading throughout the entire piece. the shots I added are no where near where its stopping. what should I be looking for?? I am gonna try rendering without mbl, I am sure thats whats slogging it down. anyone else having issues rendering with MBL? I am using a new asus laptop, 4gb ram, vista 64 vegas 8.0c

Are you in 8-bit or 32-bit color depth? I ran into a similar problem when trying to render a short project in 32-bit color depth in 8.0c with tons of MB applied, i.e., it didn't finish. Also, what are your RAM preview settings? Too high (if I recall) could result in incomplete rendering, too.

Steve

Ian Planchon March 5th, 2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Reid (Post 1022811)
Are you in 8-bit or 32-bit color depth? I ran into a similar problem when trying to render a short project in 32-bit color depth in 8.0c with tons of MB applied, i.e., it didn't finish. Also, what are your RAM preview settings? Too high (if I recall) could result in incomplete rendering, too.

Steve

i'm in 8 bit, my preview settings are at 300. I shut off the computer, restarted and was able to render the file to my external, and it seems to be cruising a long now. crossin my fingers. must have been some weird vista glich that needed a kick in the head.

Ian Planchon March 5th, 2009 12:53 PM

annnnnnnd vegas just crashed, completely.

Ian Planchon March 6th, 2009 02:54 AM

man, how are you vista guys able to get any work done?? I cant get a single render to work. I am pulling all the effects off, see if that makes a difference, then going shopping for XP tomorrow. this is killing me.

Edward Troxel March 6th, 2009 07:20 AM

My Vista 64 machine running Vegas Pro 8.1 seems to be doing fine. It's just working just like XP has. Mainly during installation I get some popups asking if I really want this program to run or copy to happen but rendering has been fine.

Jeff Harper March 6th, 2009 08:27 AM

I have never had too many issues with Vista...there was a bit of a learning curve to getting it to run just the way I like.

My biggest issues with it were when I turned UAC off, but otherwise it's been fine.

Steven Reid March 6th, 2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Planchon (Post 1023194)
man, how are you vista guys able to get any work done?? I cant get a single render to work. I am pulling all the effects off, see if that makes a difference, then going shopping for XP tomorrow. this is killing me.

Sorry for your frustration, Ian. What are your system specs? What's on your timeline? I'd be inclined to look for culprits other than Vista (even though it's a fat target!), especially since many of us run it just fine with Vegas.

Steve

Ian Planchon March 6th, 2009 09:26 AM

its vista 32 bit (the title of this thread is wrong), its been giving me issues from the get go, it restarts randomly, as I mentioned vegas wont render with any sort of heavy MBL grading (which I have opened a support case with red giant about). I dont WANT to hate vista, there are some things that seem really cool about it. but I am leaving to get on the the trail here in a few days and this thing needs to be running all my programs, or I am hosed.

for some reason I left the recovery CD in portland, so unless I can find another copy here in AK, I cant reload vista and see if that fixes anything. I dont have UAC turned off, as far as I can tell. It has all its recent drivers (again, as far as I can tell). starting to pull my hair out.

Edward Troxel March 6th, 2009 09:31 AM

If the computer is randomly restarting, and rendering using MB (which hits the CPU hard) dies, could it be HARDWARE problems instead? Maybe heat issues? Or RAM problems?

Ian Planchon March 6th, 2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1023317)
If the computer is randomly restarting, and rendering using MB (which hits the CPU hard) dies, could it be HARDWARE problems instead? Maybe heat issues? Or RAM problems?

well, I was wondering that, and I dont have an independant memory tester, so I ran the one vista gives you, and it said the ram was fine. but I dont know how trustworthy that is. if it IS a hardware issue I am completely hosed (unless newegg can get me a new one in 24 hours). is there another way to check for bad hardware?