XDCAM mp4 files into Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Major Player

XDCAM mp4 files into Vegas

I am a complete newby, a dummy you might say, so this is the most fundamental of all questions.

How do I get the mp4 files that were shot with the Sony EX-3 camera into Vegas Pro 8, and onto the timeline?
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Use Sony Clipbrowser (software that came with your camera), re-wrap to MXF, drop into Vegas Timeline.
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Major Player

This is Vegas Pro 8

But I thought that the XDCAM camcorders were native to Vegas Pro 8? I didn't think a file coversion was necessary.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Brian, your request is very reasonable. I've wondered the same thing. The result is that you need to keep your footage in two formats, doubling the storage: MXF for Vegas 8*others and MP4s in BPAV for FinalCutPro. I suppose that Sony didn't want to bother with development time for Vegas, but it's a little embarrassing to see AVID provide direct SxS support in MC 3.5 . Sony, update your Vegas software !
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Or, transcode into a format neutral format and NOT double your storage needs. Your choice. ProRes drops right into Vegas too.

And Brian, XDCamHD is supported currently by Vegas. The current version of Vegas shipped before XDCamEX was available.
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

xdcam and Vegas

Vegas 8c came out after XDCam EX and we were all hoping Sony wouldnt let us down,but they did.
If sonic was still in charge it would of been done. Sony has sloooowed down the upgrades, and many more bugs are present. The clip browser has problems too, you might want to look at shotput express.
Im hoping ver 9 will be what ver 8 should of been.
Jay Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...