Vegas and Vista at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas and Vista

Will Vegas Pro run well on Vista Basic? I know Sony’s system spec. only calls for Vista, so can I believe it runs on all Vista variations. Can anyone verify that Vista Basic is all I need?

I will be building a system dedicated to editing only so my thinking is why use a more bloated version of Vista.

Thanks, Norm
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Any version of Vista should work the same.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Home Premium is a far better choice for Vegas, as Basic limits you to 1GB of RAM and many other limits that hamper Vegas, even if you have more RAM installed or a better video card. It's Microsoft's way of saying: "Get Home Premium."
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jack, Where did you get the information that Vegas Basic will only support 1GB of RAM? What I read was: Vista Starter 1GB, Vista Basic 32 bit 4GB and Vista basic 64 bit 8 GB. I hope I am correct.
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm running Vista 64 Basic with 4GB RAM and Vegas 8 Pro runs fine. Very stable.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
I'm running Vista 64 Basic with 4GB RAM and Vegas 8 Pro runs fine. Very stable.
could be the difference between Vista Basic (32bit) and Vista Baseic (64bit). But I'm just guessing here.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #7
Major Player

I tried Vista 32 and had a lot of problems, then switched to 64. It's not really a fair comparison, though, since by the time I switched to 64 a good amount of time (and patches) had occurred.
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I just got the blue screen of death running Vegas on an Intel P4, Vista Home Premium

I was browsing the Internet, (these forums in fact) while waiting for a render. The render completed so I clicked open and wamo, the blue screen of death. First time using Vista.

Nice thing was when I restarted, Vegas was smart enough to realise this and displayed the auto-saved version of the project with a different name. So once I checked the project, I saved as the original project and nothing was lost. Now that’s very nice.

Vegas is a .NET application as I understand so unless there running in unsafe mode it was probably a .NET issue. But then again they probably have old Java programmers working there so … ;)
Rob Croll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Croll View Post
So once I checked the project, I saved as the original project and nothing was lost. Now that’s very nice.
Rename, YES. To the original name, NO! Play it safe and change the name even if it's just adding a "1" after the name.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Roger, I had issues with 32 bit also, mostly IE running like crap. IE runs fine for me in the 64 bit version.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #11
Major Player

Jeff, I use Firefox instead of IE, and it works fine on XP, Vista 32 & 64.

This is a little off topic, but with my current computer, I purchased an identical 2nd HDD to clone my OS & application HDD (I have 4 other HDD's for data). I clone the OS/App disk every weekend while sleeping. My primary HDD recently got corrupted, so I just pointed to the back-up disk and lost only a few minor changes since my last back-up. This saved me countless hours reinstalling OS/patches, CS4, Vegas, and about 50 other applications. Cheap insurance for $50!
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

it is my understanding that Vista Home Premium 32-bit only supports a mazimum of 3gb RAM, but i bought 4GB worth before realizing that. certain diagnostic programs i run easily detect 4gb on my system...so what is Microsoft saying? get 64? they're kind of painting people into corners every chance they get. ah well.
Chris Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #13
Major Player

Windows 7 will be a better solution. First glimpse looks good. Even a few Apple guys are impressed.
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Yes, Roger, the buzz does seem to be very positive. The buzz on the Beta version was so good I almost downloaded it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #15
Major Player

Jeff,

I'd wait. I found it very interesting, but drivers and bugs made us revert back to Vista. Perhaps its a false hope, but maybe MS will do the decent thing and provide a free upgrade for Vista users.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...