Best Render for Youtube HD in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 15th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Render for Youtube HD in Vegas

What are you guys using to put up on Youtube HD? WMV or MP4?
Chris Rackauckas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

In Vegas, Sony AVC, rendered to 1280 x 720, 6,000,000 average 10,000,000 max bitrate, 24p.
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Major Player

not sure this will quite answer your question on what people are using here on this board for youtube HD, but I thought the below was a good article re HD on youtube:

YouTube does 720P HD using H.264
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Youtube supports up to 30p. Best to do a 2-pass to improve quality.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris' suggestion is what I'd go with, but I'd add a couple of things, first being what Jack mentioned; Youtube supports 30p, so use that if that's your project's framerate.

Where I must respectfully disagree with Jack, however, is with two pass encoding. It's my experience that multi pass encoding is a waste of time when it comes to Youtube, Vimeo, or other similar services. The only two reasons to run multiple passes are lowering the size of the file you create and increasing the quality at a given bitrate. With regard to the size, the file you'll be uploading is not the file Youtube will deliver; absolutely everything gets recompressed, according to their own settings, so there's no worry about uploading too large a file. The file won't get appreciably smaller with more than one pass, and you won't save much time on the upload; you'll just spend an unnecessarily long time compressing the video. As for quality, again, at these bitrates the increase is mathematical, and for all the testing I've done it never makes a lick of difference. Single pass and multi pass H.264 files at six to ten megabits per second are near indistinguishable side by side, and the end result of Youtube's compression makes the difference even less evident. If you were encoding video to give directly to your viewers, and/or using bitrates on the order of less than, say, two megabits per second, you'd do well to run the two pass, but for this particular application, I wouldn't bother.

I'd also suggest forcing a keyframe every Nth frame, N being your framerate. The phenomenon mentioned in the article Dave linked is also known as "keyframe flashing", and has never been a problem for me, despite the short intervals I use. Long GOP files are enough of a pain when you view them directly--random access gets more and more difficult the longer the group--but they also cause problems with Youtube. When using long groups I run into a kind of stuttering effect that I suspect is the same issue the author mentions. Forcing a keyframe once every second has successfully eliminated that in all of my upload tests.

Finally, don't forget to keep your audio in stereo, as Youtube has recently made that their standard. They even went back and converted all of my old videos, which was a nice surprise.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't like MP4, i always upload wmv.
1280x720, 25p(pal) and a 4 or 5MB bitrate does look pretty good to me.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #7

Having tested both extensively, YouTube likes mp4 when it's of equal bitrate to WMV. The tests can be found on our Youtube channel.
VASST - The ?New YouTube? has a very lengthy description of frame sizes, etc for Youtube and how to force the player to show HD in a link.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...