DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Computer strong enough for Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/145958-computer-strong-enough-vegas.html)

Kevin Lewis March 16th, 2009 02:43 PM

Computer strong enough for Vegas?

Im looking to purchase Sony vegas and currently have a trail version. Sony recommends a 3 gig processor for hd files but my comuter only has 1.5 ghz. I dont need to do full editing i just need to capture to harddrive and then output back to a mini dv. I'm jsut doing this as a way to back-up my footage. Will the 1.5 ghz be enough to accomplish this or will the computer not be able to handle it? I dont have a firewire port on the computer that i have access to, so I cant test it. ANy thoughts on this?

Jeff Harper March 16th, 2009 03:03 PM

For capturing etc., your PC will be be fine, just get a firewire card. And actually if all you need to do is capture and output back to a camera, Windows Movie Maker should do that all for you also, if I'm not mistaken.

I just checked, and yes Windows movie maker will do it all, capture and output back to tape.

Terry Esslinger March 16th, 2009 03:07 PM

Kevin,
As Jeff said you will need a firewire card. They are inexpensive and easy to install. (if you have a free slot). Windows Movie Makere should do what you have said and you should already have it. Is that a P4 1.5 Gz?

Kevin Lewis March 16th, 2009 05:06 PM

The computer is a laptop with a pentium dual processor. Will this suffice?

Jeff Harper March 16th, 2009 05:07 PM

Yes. For capturing,etc. It almost doesn't matter. Just use Movie Maker and you'll be fine.

Kevin Lewis March 16th, 2009 08:30 PM

I was just checking out movie maker. There are no option for HD. IF I capture and re-record to a dv tape, will the new tape be hd or standard definition?

Edward Troxel March 17th, 2009 07:03 AM

If you capture as DV and output to DV, it will be SD.

I've used Vegas on extremely weak systems and it always seems to work. Give it a shot!

Jeff Harper March 17th, 2009 08:13 AM

The Vista version of Movie Maker does capture and publish HD, but as Edward says give Vegas a try.

Rick Diaz March 19th, 2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1028995)
The Vista version of Movie Maker does capture and publish HD, but as Edward says give Vegas a try.

Only partly true. The Vista Basic version does not do HD. You need Vista Premium or better.

Kevin Lewis March 20th, 2009 01:17 PM

I have Windows Vista "home" premium. No where does it reference "HD" also, I have two tracks of audio on my tape, Movie Maker only seemd to have the ability to take one track, is this the case?

Jeff Harper March 20th, 2009 01:36 PM

In your original post you were going to download and footage and then back it up on another camcorder.

Any program that will download your footage should be able to transfer the files to tape exactly as it was downloaded.

If Movie Maker won't work, then get Vegas. Movie Studio costs around $70.

Rick Diaz March 20th, 2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis (Post 1030869)
I have Windows Vista "home" premium. No where does it reference "HD" also, I have two tracks of audio on my tape, Movie Maker only seemd to have the ability to take one track, is this the case?

I have used Vista Premium MM to do simple HD vids. It works, but is rudimentary, at best. I doubt it will support more than 1 track of video and 1 track of audio. Comparisons of Vista versions on the M$ site show that Basic and Business versions do not support HD.

Kevin Lewis March 20th, 2009 02:10 PM

Hmm, if Movie Maker only supports one track of audio, I wonder what will happen tot he other track? Will it combine the two? When i'm playing back the tape in my camera, and two tracks are present, whats happening? Is the camera combining both tracks and playing whats there.

Rick Diaz March 20th, 2009 02:34 PM

Wait a second, are you considering stereo audio as 2 tracks? WMM supports stereo audio, but I think it treats it as one track in the editor.

Kevin Lewis March 20th, 2009 10:22 PM

I typcally record using two sepate mics on independent channels. With Movie maker will it just combibe the two tracks in the same fashion as it would if I were simply playing the tape back via camera and watching it on tv?