need help setting up production monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

need help setting up production monitor

i am very new to video editing...i have never used a production monitor and reading thru this forum i knew i need one, due to a tight budget ... i bought a used older JVC BM-1310SU off ebay... i dont see any DVI or VGA inputs on this monitor ... maybe cause its a older model .. my question is how am i going to connect my computer with this so i can use it as a second monitor for display on Vegas .. most of the threads here talk about connecting it thru DVI or VGA on the video card but i dont have those options i guess ... what do i do?
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Trustee

You could connect FW to your XL2, and then take analogue video from the XL2 to the monitor. Only problem is that it ties up your XL2 as an AV interface when it could be used for shooting.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Taking a feed off your video card will not display the true colours of your video anyway, so for colour correction work that's a non-starter.

You will need to invest in a digital to analogue converter. I use the DAC-200 but there is a wide choice to suit all budgets. That will allow you to take a signal from your PC (i.e. Vegas), route it via a firewire cable through the converter and then, depending on the connections you have (RCA or, in my case, BNC), connect that to the monitor.

In effect, it's exactly what Richard is suggesting (using the XL2 as the digital to analogue converter) but without tying up the camera.

Of course, my way introduces an element of cost . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...