Vegas 8 Pro freezing up on me... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 8 Pro freezing up on me...

anyone else know how to fix this? As soon as I leave to another application (like Firefox) and Vegas is running when I return to it, its not responding and I have to restart it.

I hate to think its my computer (AMD 6400 X2, 4 gig ram, Nvidia GTX260, DFI FX790 mobo).

Its running on XP pro.

I'm not having this problem in DVD Architect 4.5. I have the manage media tab in Vegas off.
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Martin, although your computer isn't the latest and greatest it should not be contributing to this problem.

Three things:
To turn off media manager, you need to do more than close the tab. Go to Options | Preferences | General and unselect "Enable Media Manager". Best if you restart your computer after this, to fully shut down the service.

While you're in "General", also look at "Close media files when not the active application". Suggest you try the opposite of however it is set now. Likewise "Close Audio and MIDI ports when not the active application".

Also good to assure that you have the latest drivers for your audio card. Video card too? Maybe.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM   #3
New Boot

I see you say 4GB of RAM, so I assume your running XP-64. I am running vista 64 and have a slightly different problem when scrubbing multi-plexed video streams, it crashes all together. If you are running 8.0C, try 8.0B. Or you can try Vegas 8.1. If you are running XP-32 bit, you have 1 too many gigs of RAM, and it could cause problems on the OS level. I agree, removing the media manager is a good idea. I would also try cleaning the system, just a good scrubbing all around. I have found that COMODO offers a good cleaner. One of the best registry cleaners on the market, and its free. Just go to comodo.com and look under free products for system clean. That and a good defrag should help you get the best performance possible. Be careful though, if you use 8.1, for me at least the File IO surrogate crashes every so often. Doesn't hurt anything, just blinds you until you restart the program, you can still save changes.
Joe Darmon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...