DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Frustration (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/146425-frustration.html)

Dror Levi March 23rd, 2009 01:10 PM

Frustration

I am so frustrate with Sony Vegas not having real time preview.
Guys, help me out over here.
I shoot and edit HDV only.
I have good computer that i build (I think it is good)
It is quad core with 4gb DDR3.
It has double RAID 0 ( RAID 0 and another RAD O)
I have no problems with rendering.
But, when it comes to real time preview after i add fx or transition it starts to loos frames and that's were i make mistakes with my editing.
Yes i could use the ram preview but it is slowing down my work flow.
Sony Vegas so far not supporting any hardware accelerator and I don't think they will at anytime soon.
What are my options to get better real time preview.

Chris Barcellos March 23rd, 2009 01:25 PM

Its one of the things we live with for the benefits. To see realtime transitions and such, I set the preview to Draft (Full), and it will show everything in transitions and filtered. If i want a frame by frame view I can do that too, simply enough.

My last experience with Premiere presented similar problems as you added filters and such, and it uses hardware resources over and above the processor.

Ultimately, you need to get yourself out of HDV and use an intermediate like Cineform. Those mistakes you talk about will be less. But even there, you will not necessarily see real time preview.

Some people are Running Pro 8.1 in 64 bit, and perhaps they are seeing better results as far as realtime preview.

Dror Levi March 23rd, 2009 01:44 PM

Going by what I have read here, 8.1 is only a headache.
What is the best software out there that gives the best real time?

Ron Evans March 23rd, 2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dror Levi (Post 1032144)
Going by what I have read here, 8.1 is only a headache.
What is the best software out there that gives the best real time?

Edius V5

Ron Evans

Jeff Harper March 23rd, 2009 03:44 PM

I played with Edius and it had amazing preview. I thought Premier was good also.

However Vegas is now fine with an i7 processor.

My quad core just wasn't cutting it since I went HD. It's fine now.

Dror Levi March 23rd, 2009 05:25 PM

How is your real time?

Jeff Harper March 23rd, 2009 06:35 PM

I use best Auto most of the time except with Magic Bullet effects, then I have to drop it down a notch.

Dror Levi March 23rd, 2009 06:41 PM

very impressive.
Are you using Vegas 8.0
or 8.1?

Jeff Harper March 23rd, 2009 06:41 PM

8.0c.........

Dror Levi March 23rd, 2009 07:15 PM

I think I'll try to over clock mine

Jeff Harper March 23rd, 2009 07:18 PM

I overclocked my old quad core but it didn't help much; maybe you'll have better luck.

Ed Kukla March 23rd, 2009 07:47 PM

i7 processor???

Jeff Harper March 23rd, 2009 08:29 PM

Actually, I forgot another option besides upgrading PC or using Cineform.

You can get real-time preview using Vasst Gearshift. It converts your HD footage into SD Widescreen footage for editing purposes, and when your done with the push of a button it puts your HD footage back on the timeline for rendering.

Mind you, your rendering times will still be dreadful, and for that the only solution is a faster processor. While I'm sure Edius is great, I can't imagine even it renders HD significantly faster than anything else if you're using a Q6600 or similar.

Jeff Harper March 23rd, 2009 08:33 PM

Ed, if you're asking what an i7 processor is: it is the newest Intel desktop processor (unless there is something new out there in the last few weeks).

The i7 is very nice for working with HD. And for those who choose to wait, in 2010 or so a whole new architecture is planned that will make even the i7 look puny (or so I've read).

Ron Evans March 23rd, 2009 08:55 PM

I have Adobe CS3, Vegas 8.0c, Vegas 8.1 and Edius V5. My processor is a Q9450 quad core at the moment with 8G RAM running Vista 64. I can playout realtime a multicam of two tracks HDV native and one track of either Canopus HQ or Cineform of my SR11 on Edius V5. The others will not playout one track of HDV native full resolution at full frame rate. There is a big performance difference between Edius and the others. As far as rendering to an output file I do not think that there is such a difference though. Even with my old AMD dual core 4200X2 I could still playout multicam of two tracks of HDV native with Edius.

Ron Evans