DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   n00b vegas 8 question.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/146435-n00b-vegas-8-question.html)

Oliver Horn March 23rd, 2009 03:53 PM

n00b vegas 8 question....

Hi! I'm going to get the Sony EX1 so I am trying to get to grips with the basics in Vegas 8 with footage from my Canon XHA1. When opening a clip in the trimmer and having set my in and out points, how do I drop just the area between in and out onto the timeline? If I press A it just plops the clip in the trimmer from the point where the cursor is to the end of the clip. I don't really want to change the length of the cut on the timeline itself (although it's easy enough to do). If I hold and select in the trimmer the selection turns blue but it removes my in and out points so I have to guess where in and out were. I'm sure it's a simple asnswer but it's driving me potty! Thanks in advance.
Oliver.

Joe Darmon March 23rd, 2009 04:09 PM

I think its drag and drop only, not sure. I personally don't use the trimmer at all, I just scrub on the time line. You can shift them and extend them later with whats called a rolling edit. If you hold down alt while you drag, you can shift the entire event, while it holds its place on the time line, effectively changing the in and out points with out having to pull it out, and extend it again, and retrim, etc... If you hold Ctrl + Alt, you can move your transitions without moving anything else, extending one event and shortening another at the same time, its pretty sweet. I personally find the trimmer to be useless, all I need is my explorer, time line, and project media list.

Oliver Horn March 23rd, 2009 04:17 PM

Thank you that man!
Much appreciated. Can't wait for the EX1.....
Oliver.

Tim Cee March 23rd, 2009 06:04 PM

Nice little trick there Joe

Edward Troxel March 24th, 2009 07:16 AM

Do you have "Collapse Loop Region" turned on?

When I press "I" and "O" in the trimmer at various locations in the trimmer and then press "A", only the section between the "I" and "O" get added to the timeline. However, "I" and "O" don't work if "Collapse Loop Region" is turned on.

You can also add Markers ("M") or Regions ("R") in the trimmer as well. These would allow you to "remember" in or out points so you could manually set the region to add. Plus if you double-click the timeline between two markers, it will auto select between those two markers.

Jason Robinson March 24th, 2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Darmon (Post 1032225)
I think its drag and drop only, not sure. I personally don't use the trimmer at all, I just scrub on the time line. You can shift them and extend them later with whats called a rolling edit. If you hold down alt while you drag, you can shift the entire event, while it holds its place on the time line, effectively changing the in and out points with out having to pull it out, and extend it again, and retrim, etc... If you hold Ctrl + Alt, you can move your transitions without moving anything else, extending one event and shortening another at the same time, its pretty sweet. I personally find the trimmer to be useless, all I need is my explorer, time line, and project media list.

Also, left clicking and holding on the blue bar between the in & out points does the same thing... it allows you to keep the total time selected the same, but change the in/out points.