Tried to convert AVCHD/HDV to SD DVD in vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Tourist

Tried to convert AVCHD/HDV to SD DVD in vegas

So Ive got footage off a Canon HV10 (HDV based) and HF11 (AVCHD based) and trying to make these into SD DVD (for some of my family members that dont have bluray players yet). So In Vegas I choose the NTSC DV Widescreen template, however I seem to get little black bars on the left and right making me think either the pixel aspect ratio is wrong or the template is wrong. Below is an example of taking say footage off the HDV and choosing the NTSC DV Widescreen template

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/358...a203fecb21.jpg
You can see the black bars left and right of the image.

If I choose the HDV template then its fine as shown below as youd expect
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/500...688856b022.jpg

Same with AVCHD heres an example of it choosing the NTSC DV Widescreen template
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4...48971c0526.jpg

Again here is the same image with choosing the right AVCHD 1080i template as which is fine
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9...c43e3a9c54.jpg

So what Im wondering is do I have to live with the small black bars (which are going to show up on widescreen tvs as well via the DVD) or do I need to adjust something?

Im using Vegas Pro 8.0c for this.

Thanks
Dixit
Dixit Suthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

The pixel aspect ratio of HD is 1.3333, the pixel aspect ratio of DV widescreen is 1.2121.

You can fix the problem in two ways:

The easy way, though you will be stretching your video slightly, is to check the box for "stretch video to fill output frame (do not letterbox)" in the render panel. This will make everything in your video ever so slightly fatter, but the black bars will be gone.

The harder, though more accurate way to do this, so you don't stretch the video, is to use the pan/crop window on the events and right-click on the preview screen in the pan/crop window and pick "match output aspect ratio". This will slightly crop the top and bottom of your image, without having to stretch it, and will thus fill your screen with no black bars.

There is a script around that will let you choose all or a group of events at once and do the "match output aspect ratio" instead of doing them one at a time, since that isn't an attribute you can paste to a bunch of clips at once. I'm not sure where I found that script, though.
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the Pan/Crop and Stretch video ideas.
I knew the Pixel size was causing my issues (I also was messing around and manually increased the pixel size of the video by 0.02 which also fixed it).

I guess in my head I couldnt quite understand why technically the HDV/AVCHD is 16x9 and technically so is DVD so I was still baffled on why its not making it fill it regardless of pixel size differences.

But I understand now.
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks for this topic.

What a nightmare this is going to be for me. I have been shooting in hi-def, advertising that i shoot in hi-def, and now I will have to face that my videos don't fill the screen.

I am just now editing my first hi-def wedding and had no idea I would face this issue at the end. to make it worse the wedding is a mix of hi-def footage and standard def, so some will fill the screen and some won't. The bride borders on "heavy", so stretching is definitely not desireable.

This learning curve is steep and painful.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 25th, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Thanks for this topic.

What a nightmare this is going to be for me. I have been shooting in hi-def, advertising that i shoot in hi-def, and now I will have to face that my videos don't fill the screen.

I am just now editing my first hi-def wedding and had no idea I would face this issue at the end. to make it worse the wedding is a mix of hi-def footage and standard def.

Now that I think about it, the only sure fire way to get it to fit screen easily would be to convert footage to 720 using gearshift, but then I can't render hi-def footage as I've been advertising.

This learning curve is steep and painful.
I wouldnt be that concerned as its very small bar. From what the Eugene said before, cropping it so it fills the frame without stretching it works for me. Id rather I lose say about 6pixels of lines on the top and bottom then to stretch the image to fill the 13-15 extra pixels sideways. Ive tried the pan/crop Eugene said and I think it works fine. If you dont have too many clips it shouldnt be too much of a hassle to rightclick each one and do the match output ratio, if you got tons, I guess we gotta find this script.

Dixit
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You might be right that is isn't that big of a deal...except for my current project I have already cropped some crooked shots, so for this project I will have mismatched footage...bummer.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Good news, found it, it's the "MatchAspect.js" script you can find here:

Vegas Scripts at Ayizwe.net

This should make your lives easier! :)

It will make the events match the output aspect of the project.

You can pick one event, a group of events, or don't select any events for the script to affect them all.

BTW, I was wrong about the pasting attributes method not working, it will, and you can do that to a group of events, BUT, using the script is much better. The reason is when you paste attributes you are pasting EVERYTHING that you can paste, so if you've done any color corrections to the clip you copied, all that would be pasted to, which you probably would not want. More importantly, if you did it while selecting all with a mixed set of HD and SD clips, and you had copied from an HD clip, then all the HD clips would be fixed correctly, and the SD clips would be fixed wrong.

So as I said, use the script, as long as your project settings are correct, it won't change your SD clips, just your HD clips.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Eugene!
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #9
Trustee

I just looked at the links for the scripts, i see loads of text, what exactly do i do with it to use it as a script ?

Thanks.
Paul.
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Do a right-click - Save As and save the file somewhere.
Then rename it taking the ".txt" off of the filename leaving it as matchaspect.js
Drop it into the Vegas Script Menu folder.
Launch Vegas, Tools > Scripting > rescan script menu and start using it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kosarovich View Post
The pixel aspect ratio of HD is 1.3333, the pixel aspect ratio of DV widescreen is 1.2121.

You can fix the problem in two ways:

The easy way, though you will be stretching your video slightly, is to check the box for "stretch video to fill output frame (do not letterbox)" in the render panel...
As an amateur, this is definitely the best way to go. Personally I can't see any distortion and I'm a lot move discerning than my viewers. Having said that, I'm still going to give the script ago anyway. :)
Rob Croll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #12
Sponsor: JET DV

Starting with AVCHD, I set my PROJECT to the AVCHD settings, did all the editing I wanted, and then simply rendered for the SD DVD using the widescreen MPEG2 DVD Architect setting. The project stayed HD the entire time. The only time it went to SD was in the final render for DVD.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Eugene, script worked like a charm, thanks again!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Starting with AVCHD, I set my PROJECT to the AVCHD settings, did all the editing I wanted, and then simply rendered for the SD DVD using the widescreen MPEG2 DVD Architect setting. The project stayed HD the entire time. The only time it went to SD was in the final render for DVD.

Not to resurrect an old thread...or hijack it either, but Ed?

I plan on moving from SD to HD via AVCHD cams for my dance recitals, plays, weddings, etc. I"m using V8Pro and, hopefully, upgrading to 64-bit V9Pro before Christmas.

I'll still be producing most of my final product to DVD but there will be some who will want the Blu-ray until BD catches on with my customers. Quickly, I hope.

If I'm reading correctly I'll render out the final edit in HD, then over to DVDA for final disc prep for the Blu-ray then a second final disc prep in DVDA for the SD DVD?

BTW. How well does Vegas handle the downconvert of AVCHD to SD DVD. Looks good?

Thanks.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...