Can't read the rendered m2t files with VLC... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #16
Major Player

I'm not at my computer but do you want to render to an HDV file? That would be an .m2t file extension. In Vegas if you render to a 1080 50i .avi file then its a cineform file.

If you want a HDV/.m2t file you must choose to render with the (i think) mainconcept mpeg2 template. It will give you the option of a rendering to a HDV/.m2t file.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #17
Trustee

To me it's important to have the loseless quality render in HD,for this reason i'm asking you the templates to choose to have the final HDV.
Unfortunately HDV 108050i cineform can't be read properly by WMP(it appears in 4:3) then Vlc doesn't even open it.I just wanted to join the HDV on my pc.

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #18
Major Player

file > render > Save as: MainConcept MPEG-2 (*.mpg) Template: HDV 1080 50i.

It will save as an HDV file, vlc and wmp can play them.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #19
Trustee

Will there be a lot of lost in quality with the mpg2?
thx a lot, i really appreciate your infos
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Major Player

No, there shouldn't be a lot of loss. Hopefully it will be unnoticeable. But keep in mind when you copy a copy (unless it uncompressed video/audio) there will always be generation loss.

But if all you do is edit your original HDV files then make ONE render, you should be ok.
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Will there be a lot of lost in quality with the mpg2?
thx a lot, i really appreciate your infos
Marcus,

What you have to realise here is the difference between an intermediate (for editing) format [such as the cineform .avi] and a delivery (for viewing) format [such as .mpg, .wmv, etc.].

An intermediate format is used to minimise loss due to multiple renders/effects etc. during the editing process. The file sizes will be much bigger.

A delivery format is what you do your final render to, for the format of your delivery medium [DVD, BluRay, WMV, JPEG2000, etc.]. Your delivery medium will determine your maximum permitted file size - and therefore, your final available "quality". For a DVD your final project is limited to around 3.9GB, on BluRay about 23GB - you do the math.

So, it's important not to get apples and oranges mixed up and thereby totally confusing the issue.

Your intermediate files maybe 200GB - clearly that won't fit onto any of the standard delivery media, so, inevitably, you end up having to compress it (a lot) to make it fit. The amount of "lossness" depends in some part to the quality of the codecs used for the compression during the rendering process (the rendering will take longer the greater the compression, generally) and in some part to your viewing medium. Clearly, you won't see much difference between standard DV and Bluray if you're only viewing it on a standard resolution screen. On the other hand, if it's being projected onto a cinema screen, you'll be wanting something considerably more than Bluray's 25MB/s.

It all comes down to "horses for courses".
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #22
Trustee

Hey Steve, thank you for taking the time 4 this good explanation.I really appreciate that!
The problem 4 me began when i was rendering this file and i couldn't play it on my pc!
So i was choosing the avi(cineform) with the template hdv 108050i(pal) then i was asking in the forum how come VLC couldn't read it!Now i got it,i had to render in mpg2 so my full hd monitor could easily show it(WOW!).
So from what i understand if i have to watch this kind of file on a big screen like a cinema i should render in aVi ,is it right(the least loss of quality) or i will have to transfer in a film,am i right?just 4 example

The mpg2 has a really good quality as stated on this thread and i wanna thank you guys 4 the suggestions!

If i m missing anything,please tell me!And once again sorry 4 my english

P.s: i ve rendered 12 minutes of hdv files with music and cc in 13'25 seconds.Final format mpg2 HDV108050i.Is it a good rendering time ?I was about to post in another thread(already opened) but i didn't want to Crosspost!

:)
MM
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hey Steve, thank you for taking the time 4 this good explanation.I really appreciate that!
I tried to make it as simple as I could :-)
Quote:
The problem 4 me began when i was rendering this file and i couldn't play it on my pc!
So i was choosing the avi(cineform) with the template hdv 108050i(pal) then i was asking in the forum how come VLC couldn't read it!Now i got it,i had to render in mpg2 so my full hd monitor could easily show it(WOW!).
Yes, As you have discovered, because VLC is an OpenFormat player, they use OpenSource codecs where possible - hence the Cineform codec is not available to them unless they pay cineform vast amounts of money for the privilege, I guess ;-)
Quote:
So from what i understand if i have to watch this kind of file on a big screen like a cinema i should render in aVi ,is it right(the least loss of quality) or i will have to transfer in a film,am i right?just 4 example

:)
MM
I guess it kind of depends on the size of the cinema screen but, if you're thinking about your local Odeon, they would probably be looking at JPEG2000 - which you'll only get from "REAL" Pro gear. However, raw .avi would probably be the best you could get from Vegas on a standard PC from your original "footage" and would most likely look amazing on a "Home Cinema" projection setup.

:-) Steve
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #24
Trustee

Steve i have no words to thank you bro!Really appreciate it!

What about the rendering times of my pc?Do you thinnk are good times?

I have also an issue on the hdv capture but i will open another post cause i don't wanna change the discussion here!

Thank you bro
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Steve i have no words to thank you bro!Really appreciate it!
It's a pleasure to help where I can

Quote:
What about the rendering times of my pc?Do you thinnk are good times?
That's always a tricky one to answer, due to there being so many variables involved - effects/rollovers/fades/chroma keying/balancing etc. but that time sounds feasible to me.

Quote:
I have also an issue on the hdv capture but i will open another post cause i don't wanna change the discussion here!

Thank you bro
I'll keep an eye out for the other thread, although I may or may not be able to help on that subject - depending what the issue is.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...