No Cineform codec in Vegas 8.0c?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

No Cineform codec in Vegas 8.0c??

Hi all,
I went to render an MXF file to CF 2.8 (that installs with Vegas) - it gave me an error with a 'codec conversion' - and won't render. I searched through the posts here at DVInfo and found one from David Newman saying you could upgrade the 'old' version of CF codec that shipped with Vegas to V3.xx for free - by downloading and installing the Neo player. I did this and now when going to render from Vegas it gives me:
'Not licensed for Cineform encoding, please purchase the upgrade'.

So have cineform pulled its (free) codec support from vegas completely now? Why does 2.8 not work any more? Are others having this same issue or have I missed some fundamentally important detail that will answer all these good questions in one fell swoop?

Any feedback appreciated.
Best,
David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hmm.

Just thought it might be relevant to mention I'm running 8.0c on XP 64 bit.

D.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm not sure about the upgrade for free part by installing Neo Player, but I'll bet good money that if you uninstall all Cineform Products, including Neo Player, and then reboot, Vegas will act just like it always has with respect to using the built-in Cineform codec. I've had to do this when using the trial versions of their software. Once the trial expires, Vegas won't render to CF. After uninstalling all the trials, Vegas works perfectly again.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't think anyone indicated you get the encoder upgrade free. My recollection was that using NeoPlayer gave you the capability of playing, decoding and actually editing the newer version, but not allowing to encode in it.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

not positive, but I think version 6 was the last one to include CF codec. The trend is native hdv editing.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Inner Circle

My version of Vegas 8 installed, if I remember right, with an HDV intermediate codec, which is the older Cineform codec. It may not say it, but I am pretty sure it is still there. What may have happened with OP, is that he some how unintalled it. I wiould suggest just reinstalling Vegas as a starter..
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

Obviously the first thing I did was uninstall the Neo player and reinstall Vegas and sure enough, V2.8 of the codec appears in the avi rendering list - however as I said above, it won't render. Gives me an error about codec conversion or something. Again, I'm not sure if this has something to do with being on XP 64 and not 32.

"I don't think anyone indicated you get the encoder upgrade free" - Chris Barcellos

Well Chris, in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...vegas-8-a.html

- I'm not sure how to interpret it differently. When David wrote:

"...Sony ships a very old version of the CineForm codec, you can upgrade for free to codec version 3.5.x by downloading NEO Player from http://www.cineform.com/products/Dow...layerStart.htm.."

Hmmm. Downloading and installing Neo player obliterated the 2.8 codec in the list, replacing it with ver 4.xx and giving a 'you are not licensed' error when trying to render. So even if I could render with the older codec, that option is taken away by installing Neo Player.

I think I found another thread that perhaps provides an answer:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...-cineform.html

Perrone Ford had similar type problems to what I found. He seems to have found a work around. Don't think I'll bother with that. I just wanted to use a quick intermediate to apply some effects work to but if it's not going to work as advertised, then an uncompressed avi is fine - just bigger to store.

Anyway, life goes on and work to be done so...

cheers,

David.
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I went to the link you indicated for that thread, and that gives you the NeoPlayer link.
In post 5 of that same thread, it is clear that David Newman indicates that the the download provides decoder only, not access to the Cineform encoder.
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Chris,

Did you also manage to spot that replies 3,4,5 and 6 were posted AFTER I linked above?

The second thread I linked provided my answer; if v2.8 doesn't work for you - and it doesn't for me - then the only way to get a working version of the encoder is by upgrading to Neo 4K.
There. Done.

Boy, they don't call it 'DVinfo' for nothing, do they?

David.

Last edited by David Warrilow; March 30th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...