DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is it even possible to get a proper interlaced version out of Sony Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/146664-even-possible-get-proper-interlaced-version-out-sony-vegas.html)

Kevin Reinicke March 26th, 2009 09:13 AM

Is it even possible to get a proper interlaced version out of Sony Vegas?

Guys, I really need your help!! :(

I have a 720p (1280x720) and 23,97 fps quicktime animation file that I need to convert to -->
720x480i (interlaced) and 29,97 fps (for NTSC Satellite broadcast), also as quicktime with animation codec.

No matter what I do, the results in sony vegas look always terrible (weired interlaced flickers), what am I doing wrong?? I really dont get it.

Can please somebody exactly tell me how you would render this file to the above format, cuz Im really abt to kill myself (I rendered 200 different versions and they all look lousy).

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

Kevin Reinicke March 26th, 2009 11:10 AM

BTW. Im using Sony Vegas Pro 8.

John Cline March 26th, 2009 12:41 PM

Yes, it's absolutely possible to get Vegas to create a properly interlaced file. How are you vieweing the output to judge whether Vegas is doing it correctly? The only valid way to judge interlacing is to view it on an NTSC CRT monitor. Using just a media player on a computer to view the file will often display interlace artifacts that won't be there when viewed correctly, either an LCD or plasma TV which deinterlaces correctly or an interlaced display like a CRT TV.

Kevin Reinicke March 26th, 2009 01:01 PM

John, thank you for your answer.

I have a fairly calibrated big lcd monitor, which i used for color correction.

Is it possible to check it out with that?

John Cline March 26th, 2009 05:46 PM

No, the ONLY way to check for interlacing issues is with an interlaced monitor and that means a CRT.

Rick Diaz March 26th, 2009 06:56 PM

If you just want to be able to see it on your PC monitor without any interlacing artifacts download the free VLC Player software. It can play many more file formats than WMP and allows you to set things like BOB and linear deinterlacing so you can see what it will look like on a CRT.

John Cline March 26th, 2009 08:25 PM

But the point is to see if the interlacing is set correctly and that REQUIRES a CRT monitor. Playing it in a media player, even one as good as VLC, will only deinterlace the video to view on a progressive LCD display. It will simply hide any interlacing problems, not reveal them.

Rick Diaz March 26th, 2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cline (Post 1034259)
But the point is to see if the interlacing is set correctly and that REQUIRES a CRT monitor. Playing it in a media player, even one as good as VLC, will only deinterlace the video to view on a progressive LCD display. It will simply hide any interlacing problems, not reveal them.

Agreed, but if one doesn't have access to a CRT to connect to the computer for playback evaluation then there is no other option. And there aren't really deinterlacing "problemsP per se. You either have interlacing or you don't. There's no degree or various types to it.

John Cline March 26th, 2009 09:06 PM

It's not quite that simple. There ARE two types of interlacing, "upper field first" and "lower field first" and if the field order gets reversed, it can cause serious stuttering problems. Once again, the only way to see if the field order is correct is on a CRT. If you're a professional and you're dealing with interlaced footage, you MUST have a CRT. Would YOU send out a project not knowing if it was correct?

The original question was about whether Vegas can do interlaced correctly and the answer is, yes, it can do it perfectly. It is my contention that Vegas has already rendered his footage correctly the first time, but it is by viewing the render on a progressive display that has him ready to "kill himself" thinking that Vegas has somehow screwed up thus causing him to render it another "200 times."

Mike Kujbida March 26th, 2009 09:10 PM

Agreed, but if one doesn't have access to a CRT to connect to the computer for playback evaluation then there is no other option.

Burn it to a DVD and play it on your TV set - assuming it's a CRT, that is.
If not, find a friend who still has one and try it there.

Kevin Reinicke March 27th, 2009 03:02 AM

Guys, somehow I cant even get a proper interlaced PAL-Version out of sony vegas (and this I tested properly), so something is wrong with my settings.

Could just somebody tell me the exact steps and settings, how you convert a 720p, 23,97 fps quicktime animation file into a 720x480 interlaced 29,97 fps quicktime animation file???

I can do this with other programms, but somehow I am not able to do this with sony vegas,
so my settings have to be wrong.

Richard Hunter March 27th, 2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Diaz (Post 1034261)
You either have interlacing or you don't. There's no degree or various types to it.

I think you also need to factor in the pull-down when you go from 24p to 60i. It is possible to get it wrong.

Richard

Mike Kujbida March 27th, 2009 08:45 AM

Kevin, if you know how to use AVISynth (I don't so don't ask me about it), check out the 24p to 60i, Kinescope restoration, and more thread on the Sony Vegas forum.

Kevin Reinicke March 27th, 2009 10:44 AM

Thank you mike.

But isnt it possible to do it all in Sony Vegas?? Nobody here ever converted 720p to 480i ???
There´s gotta be something abt my settings that is wrong, but I cant figure out what...

Please somebody help !

Seth Bloombaum March 27th, 2009 03:27 PM

I've not done this particular conversion, but I suspect that the problems may be more related to 23.97->29.97 frame rate than the resolution change.

I've done a similar conversion, but starting with 720-30p, m2t source to 480p mpeg2 for DVD, with outstanding results.

Have you tried changing the resolution without changing the framerate? It may be worth going at these as two separate processes, if only to rule out one or the other.

In that you're going from QT to QT, you might consider trying this with Quicktime Pro - it's only $30.