Vegas users, anyone use Nero 8 to capture m2t? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas users, anyone use Nero 8 to capture m2t?

I stongly dislike capturing HD in Vegas for several reasons, not the least is the fact that audio preview cannot be disabled.

I have Nero 8 and wondered if it would be a good capture utility for HDV. I would avoid installing it if it is no better than Vegas for this purpose. Nero creates driver conflicts, etc. and is a general nuisance.

Anyone use Nero 8 for capturing HDV?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I went ahead and installed Nero, and it is very interesting, and to me, confusing.

Nero captures the HD video from my Fx1000 as mpeg2 files, not m2t. but in 1080i. It plays back in windows media player beautifully, looks like high def, and is very manageable on the Vegas timeline.

I have extremely limited understanding of hi-def.

Are these mpeg 2 files truly high-def? What is going on?

I have many hours to capture and dont want to proceed further until I know what is what, so any advice is appreciated.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What is strange is these mpeg 2 files look identical to m2t files when played back in media players, and on the vegas timeline also.

It seems too good to be true, a more manageable HD file that has the original quality.

I have alway understood that mpeg 2 files are a delivery format, not editing.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Jeff, I grabbed the following from another DV Info forum. Hope it helps.

M2T is a transport stream used mostly in broadcast (and in HDV cameras) while MPEG is a program stream.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thank you Mike, so I guess Nero captures files to be ready for putting on DVD directly, is that it? Hmmmm.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Jeff, I'm not a Nero user so your guess is as good as mine :-)

For alternate capture apps, give HDV Split and CapDVHS (French site but there's an English download link) a try.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Thank you Mike, so I guess Nero captures files to be ready for putting on DVD directly, is that it? Hmmmm.
m2t is MPEG -2 TS or MPEG-2 transport stream. Nero is just renaming the HDV native file. IF you look at the file properties you will see that they are the same whether Vegas or Nero captures the file. Nero will encode to SD on capture if you ask it to do so though( custom rather than native button), but I don't think that is what you want it for.
m2ts is another form indicating a timecode addition for each packet to ensure that packets get back in the correct order if they are stored on HDD or Flash memory and this is the file extension for AVCHD though it is MPEG4 rather than MPEG2.
Asking any of these capture programs to capture a native file will give you the same file. Some give the option of scene detection to split files on date and time( start stop changes) but if they are native they will be the same.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks everyone. Mike, HDV split is working fine, thank you. It had been suggested before but I forgot about it. Great to be able to turn preview on and off.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Ron, you are correct, the files are essentially the same. I was wrong, the mpg versions are no different than the m2t files...they were just small samples and at the time of download seemed quicker.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...