How can I view? Help needed Please - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 5th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Yes, the WD TV can repeat videos. While playing videos you can bring up the option menu and set the video to repeat forever until you hit the stop button on the remote.

Check out the user manual on Western Digital's web site. You'll get a a good idea of all the functions this little box can do.
Peter Greis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Peter-
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Jeff Harper....A little help Please?

I am having a little trouble finding the render preset exactly as what you refer to below in my version of Vegas which is 8.0 Please keep in mind this is all new to me but I bought the WDTV today and am trying to render as you suggested. If possible, could you walk me through this based on me being pretty much lost here at this point?

Another question is that the format supported list as I noted below mentions nothing about what I shot the footage in which is 60i, will this make a difference? will I still get a full screen playback in HD on my TV via the WDTV? I see that in 60 I it says 1280x720, my footage is full 1440x 1080, my apologies for my newness here but I just wanted to ask you for the advice and help.

Thanks, I apppreciate the help if you can manage.
Tim

Supported Format Specs are: MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 supports up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution

[QUOTE=Peter Greis;1038006]As Jeff has said, you can use quite a few different formats that the WDTV will play.

I personally use the HDV 1080 60i render preset in Vegas and it creates M2T files that play perfectly on the WDTV.
QUOTE]
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Just choose any supported format and render!

I personally would start with WMV template 8mbps HD 1080 30p and see how it works. Just do a short clip for a test. If that plays back well, then do your full project.

That should be a fine place to start, you know it will work with WMV files, and the 8mbps should be a great quality.

I have read that MP4 is great, but I haven't yet tried it. Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I feel confident the wmv format will at least get you up and viewing HD with your new device!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #20
Trustee

What kind ofHard disk(specifics i mean) do you suggets to use with the WDHDTV?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I'm not sure what is recommended, go to the western digital site and see what they say. USB is the main thing.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff, I had assumed you already did some testing and new of the optimal settings to render. I will experiment and see what happens here on my end. I will post my findings.

Marcus, As for a Hard Disc, any USB will work. I have chosen a WD My Book 500GB as it holds quite a bit. I have this dedicated to HD Video alone for use only with the WDTV.
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I bought one a couple of days ago and am using a spare 500GB laptop drive in an Icybox enclosure I bought. I have to say it works really well, the best thing is I can now render back out to interlaced 50i mts footage and it looks great on a progressive display. Saves converting everything to progressive. I didn't have hdmi on my tv but hdmi to dvi-d seems to work well using the optical out for audio.
Jon Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #24
Trustee

Just 2 let u know that i bought mine 5 minutes ago!
It's your fault!
LOL
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I Just got to watch mine. It is awesome! So simple and looks great on the big screen to finally watch my footage with edits.

Can anybody recommend what is best format for less loss and higher quality to render to for viewing on the WDTV Player? ? My choices are

MPEG 1
• MPEG 2
• MPEG 4 (ASP, AVC HD/H.264)
• WMV9
• AVI

So far my test footage was rendered in WMV9 which looked great but was wondering if it gets better with one of the above formats.
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I would have thought it depends on what you film in. Whichever one involves the least compression probably, I've been using mts.
Jon Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cee View Post
...My choices are

MPEG 1
• MPEG 2
• MPEG 4 (ASP, AVC HD/H.264)
• WMV9
• AVI

So far my test footage was rendered in WMV9 which looked great...
WMV9 is one of the better choices here. Great performance for the bitrate, great look, flexible for playback, easy encode in Vegas with good templates...

MPEG4 would be the other one worth testing, it has the potential to give even better results but may be a little more work to find what works best.

I'm suggesting "good" means picture quality for the bitrate. In order, best performance first:
1) MPEG4/AVC/h.264
2) WMV9
3) MPEG2
7) MPEG1
And AVI is a bit of a wildcard.

And, as Jon points out, with a few more bits MPEG2/MTS can look just fine as well.

AVI is a bit of a mystery in this context, as it can be a container for any number of codecs, but the box probably doesn't decode them all?
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #28
Major Player

For blueray in vegas. Go to tools, burn disc, blueray. Vegas will burn your rendered video on a standard dvd with a standard dvd burner. No menus. Video just starts in the blueray player.

WD media player works or record back to the camcorder. For WD media player, I render to match the raw footage. If it's HDV, then I render mpeg2 HDV. A plus to doing this is the same rendered file can be used to record back to tape on your camcorder and the render process will be quicker since it has less conversion to do. Less conversion the better.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chau View Post
For blueray in vegas. Go to tools, burn disc, blueray. Vegas will burn your rendered video on a standard dvd with a standard dvd burner. No menus. Video just starts in the blueray player.
Just an FYI, you're limited to about 20 minutes of video per disc using this method.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #30
Trustee

Just done my first test on a FULL HD Samsung,here is my first impression:

I 've rendered a clip in Mpg2 hdv1080 50 i template:logos a little bit with shaky borders, but an overall image good (not excellent).

Then i rendered in WM9:logos were perfect but the pan camera moves are shaky.

Suggestions?Maybe i'm messing up with the settings.
Thank u guys!
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...