DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Capture to MPG not AVI?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/150458-capture-mpg-not-avi.html)

Patrick Hess April 1st, 2009 11:57 AM

Capture to MPG not AVI??

vegas only allows me to capture analog via my canopus, but in AVI format.

I captured a 2 hour tape which created a 25gig file. Then I have to convert that (either in DVD Maker or re-rendered in Vegas) to make it into a usable mpeg2 file for putting onto a DVD.

My question is this:

Is there a simpler way to capture analog tapes without having to use a middle step of converting it to mpg for eventual use in mastering a DVD?

I've tried to put the AVI directly in DVD Maker and it takes about as long to convert in there as it does in Vegas if I re-render.

I've considered/tried the following:

1) Record directly to a DVD-RW and ripped that DVD into MPG format for use on my DVD Maker file. Quality is whatever the DVD recorder gives me (no control over bitrate, etc.)

2) Recorded directly to my PC via the Canopus, but captured as AVI in Sony's capture software. Then I have to convert the avi to MPG... which adds nearly as long as the realtime capture. (I have a brand new computer 1 week old with nothing else on it and it dualcore pentium 3gghz).

3) Find some kind of capture software that canopus is recognized as a DV device and will render it realtime as an mpg2.

Also... what's the difference between mpg2 and mpg4 when it comes to creating a DVD in Sony's DVD Maker?

Terry Esslinger April 1st, 2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Hess (Post 1040356)
Also... what's the difference between mpg2 and mpg4 when it comes to creating a DVD in Sony's DVD Maker?

Night and day. DVDs MUST be MPEG2. That is the language of DVDs.

Edward Troxel April 1st, 2009 12:26 PM

DV-AVI (which is what you captured) is much easier to edit and use than any MPEG format. MPEG2 is a destination format. So you're really better off capturing and editing using the DV-AVI file and then doing a final render to MPEG2 for DVD.

Patrick Hess April 1st, 2009 12:52 PM

missing my point

I'm not trying to create a movie or anything requiring vegas editing capabilities. I'm trying to simply copy old analog tape footage to a dvd with a menu.

In order to have a menu, I have to use DVD Maker. In order to use DVD maker, I have to either allow it to convert the AVI files or have them converted already.

So, how do I avoid the lengthy delay of capturing to AVI and then having to re-render to MPG2 just to create a DVD with a menu?

I know I can make a DVD without a menu simply using the DVD Recorder, but that's not my goal.

Steve Renouf April 1st, 2009 05:07 PM

For copying VHS to DVD I use VLC (for capture) and ManDVD (for simple titles and authoring) in Ubuntu Linux. Simple. Oh yes, and the capture card is an Hauppauge PVR150. (Which, incidentally, doesn't work under VISTA).

Unfortunately, I currently have no way of capturing from VHS on VISTA but at least the Linux/VLC/ManDVD option is all FREE!

John Miller April 1st, 2009 06:40 PM

I'd go for option 1 (which I often do if I just need to dump a tape to DVD without editing). DVD recorders do have bitrate options. On the highest quality (called HQ on mine), a 60 minute DV tape fits on a single DVD-R. I can't tell the difference even on a true video monitor (as opposed to TV).

Patrick Hess April 2nd, 2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1040427)
DV-AVI (which is what you captured) is much easier to edit and use than any MPEG format. MPEG2 is a destination format. So you're really better off capturing and editing using the DV-AVI file and then doing a final render to MPEG2 for DVD.

Please tell me a production work flow solution you believe expedites dumping dozens of 2 hour analog tapes and putting them on DVD "WITH" a menu.

What do you suggest?

Mike Kujbida April 2nd, 2009 05:25 PM

I've seen several different brands of standalone DVD recorders (the ones with a built-in hard drive) that allow simple editing and the creation of a basic menu.

John Miller April 2nd, 2009 06:18 PM

You could also record to DVD, use the MPEG2 files as source files for your menu-adding software and create a new DVD. The files will be untouched and you'll get the menu.

Edward Troxel April 3rd, 2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Hess (Post 1044117)
Please tell me a production work flow solution you believe expedites dumping dozens of 2 hour analog tapes and putting them on DVD "WITH" a menu.

What do you suggest?

So you're not actually editing the footage? That is a slightly different story.

Personally, I'd probably still do it the same way - capture as DV and then create the DVD from the DV footage.

However, you do have other methods available. If you do record onto a DVD, you can the use File - Import - DVD Camcorder Disc to pull that footage in. You should then be able to drag that footage straight to DVD Architect.