Vegas 8.0c External Control Problems! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 1st, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Vegas 8.0c External Control Problems!

Hi there, I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything at all after extensive searching both on DVinfo and Google.

I'm a long-time Vegas user, and have just picked up a Korg Nanokontrol to simplify my workflow. After about an hour of playing with it, I find that it works very well for the most part, but there's a serious, glaring error in the way Vegas handles external control: There is NO way to do multi-camera editing with an external control. This was the primary reason for me to buy this controller, and I just can't believe that Sony didn't put this feature in.

It seems that the extent of multi-camera support through external control is to enable and disable the multi-cam mode. This simply isn't good enough. If there's no way to change multi-camera takes externally, I will likely return the control surface and go back to the old way of doing things.

One thought does spring to mind - MIDI to HID translation. A little program that could sit in the background, listening for the MIDI events coming from the control surface, and spitting out the appropriate keyboard commands. I can do about 90% of the coding for this, using Processing 1.0, but I have no idea how to insert keypresses. Any programming gurus out there interested in helping? Obviously, the Vegas external control would have to be turned off to make this work, making it a somewhat less than optimal solution.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

As long as you can assign keypresses to the external control, you should be able to assign "1", "2", "3", "4", etc... as needed to get it to switch cameras. Or are you trying to use it to fade different tracks in and out? If you add a composite envelope to each track, you may be able to use the sliders to control different envelopes.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:59 AM   #3
New Boot

Wow, I didn't think that had posted. It kept giving me gateway timeout errors.

Unfortunately, the Korg software doesn't allow for keypresses to be assigned to the buttons on the surface.

Does anybody know of a piece of universal software to translate MIDI messages to keypresses?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...