DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   PC Mag Review of Vegas -- Oct. 1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/15606-pc-mag-review-vegas-oct-1-a.html)

Stuart Kupinsky October 10th, 2003 07:14 PM

PC Mag Review of Vegas -- Oct. 1

Ok, don't kill the messenger. But what happened?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1264735,00.asp

Glenn Chan October 10th, 2003 08:56 PM

I'm not sure if it was already posted here.

Anways the reviewer is mistaken about Vegas. But, I do agree that Vegas' titling tools are weak (say, compared to Final Cut Pro's Livetype). Considering its price you could just add on a third party titler if you need fancy titles.

There's some erroneous information in his review.

Edward Troxel October 10th, 2003 10:03 PM

Just a few thoughts:

Easy to use interface: True
Excellent audio tools: True
Generally good output: True but equals or exceeds others listed
Quite slow: False, although rendering is slower than some other programs. Overall operation is FAST
Lacking in some areas such as titling: Somewhat true although there is a LOT of power when combined with other effects
Lacking in some areas such as transitions: False (Cut or Dissolve should be used 99% of the time anyway!)
Color Correction Tools: Work VERY well.
Chroma Key Easy: Yes
Chroma Key Darkened Background: Haven't seen this.
Audio tools: Best of ANY NLE.

While I do not doubt their timings, there is MUCH more to editing than rendering to AVI or MPEG. I consider that time minor to the time saved while doing actual editing due to real time previews and other features.

Glen Elliott October 11th, 2003 09:13 AM

Hahaha...."PC Magazine". Give me a break.

Weak transitions? Since when do we base our judgements on NLEs on their fancy transitions?!

No Validity.

David Mintzer October 13th, 2003 09:22 AM

The guy who reviewed Vegas really got it wrong--but then again, Sonic Foundry doesn't advertise the way Pinnacle and Adobe do in PC Magazine (although this might change with the Sony acquisition). PC Magazine should stick to selling and stay out of the review business--

Frank Granovski October 13th, 2003 12:23 PM

PC Magazine was a good magazine..., 8 years ago.

Tor Salomonsen October 14th, 2003 01:48 AM

If it's possible for a big advertiser to have a mag print favourable reviews of his own product, isn't it equally possible to have them print bad reviews of the competition's?

Glen Elliott October 14th, 2003 08:52 AM

See the odd thing is it wasn't a "bad" reivew per-say. It was more wishy-washy. Kinda like "Vegas is good...BUT". However your right there definitly can be politics in editorial colums/reviews.

Brad Higerd October 14th, 2003 10:04 AM

When making the decision between Edition and Vegas, there was one compelling factor that still is the overriding issue – stability. Vegas just plain works! Edition, on the other hand, crashed during a DV Creators workshop I attended in Tampa this year, on my computer as a demo, and for many of the users reporting on Edition Planet. I have never regretted buying Vegas, because it works!

One man’s opinion.

Will Fastie October 15th, 2003 05:57 AM

I'd hardly call that a review.

I believe the reviewer has a personal preference for Edition. My efforts to convince him that Vegas had a higher "productivity quotient" obviously failed.

Regarding the comments above that the review was slanted due to advertiser pressure, Sony is much bigger than any other player in the video editing market and its advertising dollars would be similarly important. Why would PC Mag dump on Sony? Sony, now, not Sonic Foundry.

In general, I think the notion of advertiser pressure is overstated. It's more a popular belief, the magazine equivalent of "money talks." I used to work for Ziff-Davis as EIC of one of the computer magazines. I can't say I was never pressured, but I can say that I and my editorial staff fought zealously to remain objective. Knowing many of the folks at PC Mag, I'd have to say I think they do the same.

The reviewer is just wrong in this case, and that happens sometimes.

Will

Glen Elliott October 15th, 2003 11:15 AM

I can think of a million compelling factors Vegas has over Edition, stability not even being one of them.

David Mintzer October 15th, 2003 06:33 PM

Your point would be well taken if this reviewer hadn't been negative about Vegas from day one---when Sonic owned them. If you persuse PC Magazine, I would wager to say that most Sony products have been advertised via retail and mail order ads by resellers--Very little actual Sony advertising.

Will Fastie October 15th, 2003 06:46 PM

It doesn't matter if Sony currently advertises or not. Sony advertises a lot in print and PC Mag would surely want some of that action.

Rob Lohman October 16th, 2003 04:10 PM

I have to stop the speculation here. None of us truly knows how
why and what and can only read the article as it is.