vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 16th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

vegas

Hello all I have been using adobe premiere for a while now. I am thinking about switching software thanks to pinnacle which won't support adobe pro. I have 2 panasonic ag-dvx100 which use the 24p mode. Does vegas handle this. I have a pinacle pro-one card. will it work with vegas or do I need to rebuild?, will vegas work with after effect, photoshop ect... Sorry for all the Q just wanted to ask people who would know.
Old October 16th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: vegas

No prob..

<<<-- Originally posted by Ozzie Leon : Hello all I have been using adobe premiere for a while now. I am thinking about switching software thanks to pinnacle which won't support adobe pro. I have 2 panasonic ag-dvx100 which use the 24p mode. Does vegas handle this. Yes, it's the only NLE in it's class that handles 24p footage natively. I, also, shoot with a DVX100 and went to Vegas because of this reason among many MANY others.

I have a pinacle pro-one card. will it work with vegas or do I need to rebuild? If your asking if it can be used to do real-time effects/transitions in Vegas...No. If it is OHCI compliant it can be used, but only to capture. Though if your motherboard has an IEEE port or you have an Audigy audio card they both can be used as a capture alternative.

, will vegas work with after effect, photoshop ect...Yes, and yes...but depends on "how" you mean "work with". It's not as tightly integrated as Premiere Pro beings it's in the same Adobe line-up though Vegas recognizes photoshop's alpha channels and you can interchange your footage between After Effects and Vegas as you see fit. Though I don't know how After Effects handles 24p footage.

Sorry for all the Q just wanted to ask people who would know. -->>>Not a problem- that's what this forum is for.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

using vegas, most of After effects utilities will be redundant... so i wouldnt worry too much :)

vegas can do most of after effects stuff on the timeline within your edit.. lighting blurs, film look etc etc...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Great thanks guys, since your not using a capture card? how are you out putting to vhs. My pro one card has a break out box which allows me to send to firewire or to vhs/shvs.
Old October 16th, 2003, 07:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Do you have a DV camcorder than can convert from DV to analog on the fly?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #6
Wrangler

Yeah you can use your DV cam like a break out box.
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ok, so in other works since I have a sony-dsr11 i can use that instead my camera. I can use the ouput from my dsr11 into my svhs deck.
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You should be able to use your DSR11 to convert from DV to analog and vice versa.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

agree glen
Old October 17th, 2003, 08:33 AM   #10
Wrangler

The DSR11 is a stand-alone DV deck right. Yeah both the DV decks and DV cams work the same way. Connect it to computer via IEEE and to tv via the composite/s-video in/outs on the deck/camera. It's connected in a similar way when you want to preview your color corrections to an external monitor by simply connecting the composit/s-video to the TV/Editing Monitor. Vegas will send the signal via IEEE to the deck/camera and then from camera to VCR or Monitor. Whichever you choose...which makes it work just like a break-out-box.
And just as the other Glen(n) says it can work both ways....you can use your camera to facilitate an analog capture if need be.

I was glad to hear this news for the first time because I came from Premiere 6 using Pinnacle's DV500 and it's break-out-box. Now I don't need a card taking up a PCI slot and any static break-out-box hogging precious deskotp real-estate.
Old October 17th, 2003, 09:38 AM   #11
Trustee

Peter,

I'm sorry to disagree with you on this and not to take anything away from Vegas but your comparing apples to oranges, one is an NLE that can handle a bit of composting and the other is a full-blown professional composting tool.

Ozzie,

I've exported Vegas footage into AE without any problems. You can't import as a project as you can with Premiere but footage goes in like a foot in a sock.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:18 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I've been looking at Final cut pro and Avid express pro. It seems that they both take advantage of the panasonic ag-dvx100. Does any one use either of these software?
Old November 3rd, 2003, 01:25 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm not a dvx100 user myself, but I've read that dvx100 / 24p integration is yet another of Vegas' strengths, including ability to output 24p MPEG2 for DVD.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...