Vista 64 Capture Problems - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
I have uninstalled the Camcorder three times in Device Manager Sound, Video, Game Controller. Re-started Vista each time. Vista finds the Device and installs it. Each time it tells me that the device is working Properly...
Don't believe it. Windows reporting that "the device is working properly" only means that the driver it has applied is not reporting any errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
...You can manually specify the driver to be used for a particular device, and this part hasn't changed much for Vista. Here are the XP instructions.
Um, try this manual device specification. If Windows recongnizes your camcorder in HDV mode as the wrong device, it will apply the wrong driver settings every time you reinstall the camcorder.

Also a good idea to visit windows update and make sure you have all the latest patches and service packs.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #32
Inner Circle

You ought to try to capture on a 64 bit Vista laptop, if you haven't already.

Unless I missed it, I am surprised that after all this dialogue we do not know what kind/model of pc you have. And just as important, what brand/model was the Vista 64 PC at the store you tried?

Upon doing a google search for hv20 capture issues with vista 64 bit, I just didn't see that this is a particlularly common issue. I still maintain this is not a Vista issue, but I'm beginning to believe it is a PC issue or as Rick says, possibly a camera issue.

The symptom sounds like the camera is in auto detect mode, and that it is not properly switching over to HD for capture, which IS a common problem with these cameras, and not just Canons. However you clearly said that you have it set to HD, not Auto, so that can't be the issue, right?

I looked this up because I'm buying a HV20, and so far from what I've found it is normally an easy cam to work with in Vista 64 bit for the most part.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #33
Major Player

I'm using a New Acer Aspire M501 8400 Triple Core 2.10 GHz 64 Bit.

It's the only Computer with Vista 64 in the area we know of.

The Camcorder works fine on every computer with Vista 32 or XP we can find. It Captures HD flawlessly on every computer we connect it to. Desk top or Note Book.

The only problem is with the computer with Vista 64. My new one.

The Vista 64 is excellent for editing and rendering. So I plan to Capture with a older computer with Neo Scene onto a external Hard Drive. Then edit from there using Vegas 8.1 and Vista 64.

Until I can find a fix....
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #34
Major Player

Have you considered dual-booting with either Vista 32 or XP? The former is easier to do but requires a second Vista license.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
The Vista 64 is excellent for editing and rendering. So I plan to Capture with a older computer with Neo Scene onto a external Hard Drive. Then edit from there using Vegas 8.1 and Vista 64.

Until I can find a fix....
Have you tried using Vegas Pro 8.0c instead of 8.1a? Although 8.1 is 64-bit, it is not yet an ideal choice for editing because there are no 64-bit plug-ins available that work with it. I only use 8.1 when I have few or no effects and need no plug-ins.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #36
Major Player

Yes, I have used 8.0c, 8.0d and 7d.

I have also tried capturing with Neo Scene, and Microsoft Movie Maker.

"Have you considered dual-booting with either Vista 32 or XP? The former is easier to do but requires a second Vista license".

My Aspire comes with a extra set of Vista 32 install Disks.

But, Editing and Rendering in 64 bit with 8.1 is a dream!!!

I'll Capture with a old computer to a external drive for now.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm smart enough how to figure a duel boot with two operating systems. I have never done it before.

Been doing a lot of looking around on the net. Many people with different Camcorders and Software, including Final Cut Pro are experiencing multiple problems with trying to Capture HD with Vista 64.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #37
Inner Circle

David, there are SO many people capturing from laptops, desktops with Vista 64 bit, I would consider returning the PC and buying another online.

I capture with two PCs with Vista 64 bit, never even an issue, just as thousands of people are.

While on paper you should be able to capture with your Acer, Acer is a lower-end brand and I'm not surprised you're having an issue of any kind with it. It is likely not an optimal choice for Vista 64 bit or video editing, but don't get me wrong, if you can make it work for you go for it. You can get an Acer with decent processor, but the other components are often going to be second rate, which is why the prices are so low for that line of machines.

I believe your issue lies with your PC. My last trip into Circuit City before they closed I found that most of the new laptops they had were Vista 64 bit. I still say the issue is not Vista, but I will go a step further and say you have a machine that is not optimal for Vista 64 bit.

Find an HP or other better brand and I believe your problems will be over. It's too bad you're stuck in an area with probably so few options at the store.

Good luck; I hope you can make your Acer work before your return time runs out at the store.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 8th, 2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #38
Major Player

My New Acer Aspire M501 8400 Triple Core 2.10 GHz 64 Bit is not a Lap Top.

We have captured successfully with the same type of new machine as above with Vista 32 installed for a OS.

From what I have read on other boards, some Brands & Models of Camcorders have problems, and some do not. Canon HV20 & HV30's are among those having problems on Vista 64 machines.

I owned a HP once, never again. I don't like the way HP Computers are always trying to tell me what to do. I even dumped my HP Printer. Acer Aspire M501 8400 is my second Acer Computer. The first is still running after three years. Never had a problem. Actually I am using it now. I'm also using it now to Capture my video for my Acer Aspire M501 8400 to edit later.

Except for the Capture problem, my Acer Aspire M501 8400 edits like crazy. I'm keeping it. You can capture video with just about any computer with firewire to a external hard drive.

That's what I am doing, and waiting for a Vista 64/Canon HV20 fix.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
From what I have read on other boards, some Brands & Models of Camcorders have problems, and some do not. Canon HV20 & HV30's are among those having problems on Vista 64 machines.

That's what I am doing, and waiting for a Vista 64/Canon HV20 fix.
David, please stop spreading this misinformation. I have an HV20 working perfectly on Vista 64. I also moderate another very popular video forum and we have not seen many people with this issue, either. For every problem you see posted on the internet there are dozens who aren't having issues that don't post. If the problem were endemic we would have seen it already as the HV line has been out for more than 2 years and Vista 64 has been shipping as an OEM OS for more than a year. The fix you're waiting for isn't coming because this problem is uncommon. I suggest you look elsewhere for a resolution.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #40
Inner Circle

David, to be clear I want to state that your Acer desktop (laptop, whatever) is probably a fine machine for the most part, and I certainly didn't mean to disparage it, thought I'm sure I came across that way.

What I'm saying is that it's components may not be optimal for Vista 64 bit because of choices made to keep manufacturing costs down. So while for 99% of your uses it will function pefectly fine, etc, a glitch such as your experiencing could easily be due to a component issue that may never be fixable until it is found and replaced. And because the issue only appears for this one task, you may never find what the actual problem is.

If you are going to keep it and have to use a workaround, and if that works for you, that's great. I just can't imagine having a new PC that cannot capture footage from a camera as common as yours.

Rick was pretty direct, but I cannot disagree with anything he says. I have researched this since you brought it up as I am buying a Canon HV30 tonite, and it just does not appear to be the common problem you have found it to be, not with the HV20 or HV30.

Good luck with it just the same. Regardless, it is a shame you have a new PC and this issue has reared its head. Gotta be tough.
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #41
Major Player

A quick Google will reveal that there are problems reported by people trying to use their HDV camcorders with Vista 64. Not just the HV20. To say Vista 64 isn't the cause or that the camcorder isn't the cause dismisses the importance of an interaction (in the statistical sense) between components in the food chain as it were. A PC is not just its OS. It is also the hardware. How the hardware deals with the outside world is not just an issue of hardware. The drivers are important. Perhaps in 99.9% of the cases things work flawlessly. It strikes me that David's problem is either so staggeringly obvious that we have all overlooked it or so esoteric that none of (the half dozen or so of) us can reproduce it. The fact that everything works fine on Vista 32 is very telling. What's the difference between the Vista 32 scenario and the Vista 64 scenario (assuming that the test on the same type (exactly?) of PC with Vista 32 is a valid equivalent to David's own machine). It sure as doody isn't the camcorder nor the physical layer of the FireWire interface. The *only* difference is the OS - specifically the drivers for the FireWire interface and the logical protocols at work (DV, HDV and the transport controls). If one or more of the (Microsoft supplied) drivers is at fault then there are a myriad of potential reasons ranging from incorrect registry information, a bug in the driver that only affects HDV streams coming from a particular FireWire chipset or a bug in the firmware in the FireWire controller.

Does anyone else here have a FireWire interface that uses the JMicron chipset running under Vista 64?
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
Does anyone else here have a FireWire interface that uses the JMicron chipset running under Vista 64?
A cheap and obvious thing to try would be to buy a returnable firewire card from the store and try that? Wouldn't that help eliminate the FW issue? Add on cards are not always ideal for capturing, I know, but they can work. In this case if it did it would sure go a long way to isolating the issue.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #43
Major Player

I agree. I did make that suggestion - David says that he did try a different one but I don't know if it was the same model or not...
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #44
Inner Circle

I went back and see now he says (in response to you asking) he tried another card, but he never said if his pc fw interface is integrated or not.

I think David is convinced Vista itself is the issue and he seems intent on waiting for a fix from microsoft or canon. As Rick says, that may never come.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #45
Major Player

I am currently capturing 24P from my HV 20 with Neo Scene with my three year old Acer Apsire XP onto a external hard drive. I then discount the hard drive, and plug it into my New Acer Aspire Vista 64, and then I edit with Vegas 8.1. Which is very fast.

It's all working great. It works so well that the footage I took last week of a Alaska Commercial Fisheries & Wildlife, has been accepted by a Alaska TV Station (North Star Television Network) for future broadcast Statewide.

Vista 64? overall like most new software, I say leave it alone for awhile, and stay with Vista 32. Better safe than sorry.
David Rice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...