Vista 64 Capture Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Vista 64 Capture Problems

I am having Vista 64 Capture problems. I can Capture DV. However, Neither Vegas 8.0c nor Neo Scene will capture any HD. I can manipulate the camera, rewind, and run tapes back in forth in both programs, but no video will play or be viewable in the 8.0c preview.

When I select Capture in both of the above programs, the Camera will run, but no Capture takes place.

Help
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

David, that is a tough one, but my first instinct is to tell you to check your i-link setting on the camera menu. I had trouble capturing HD initially, and remember I had to change a setting to get it right, but I cannot remember now what is was.

Check your camera settings in the menu.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Windows talks to HDV/DV camcorders via two separate protocols - one for the video data and one for controlling the device. The latter can take place even if the wrong kind of video data are being sent.

Are you certain that the camcorder is sending HDV? When you try Vegas and you don't get a video, what happens if you close Vegas and try Windows Movie Maker? If it is successful and WMM claims to be using DV then that could well be the problem.

Sometimes an HDV camcorder may be set to DV output mode but switch as soon as you start playing an HDV tape. If you start the tape before launching your capture program then it might get it right. Also, IIRC, for HDV with Vegas, you have to use the internal capture widget instead of the external one.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

David,

sounds much like the problems i had when I went with my new dell and using vista 64!!!

Ultimately the dell guy and I sorted out it was conflicting software. I asked him to take everything off that was not needed that might interfere. @#Wish I could tell you what he took out. Perhaps it is a conflicting driver too, I have had that happen before.
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Vegas 80.c, Nero, and Movie Maker II will Capture DV.

Nothing I have tried yet, will Capture HD with this Vista 64.

Googling myself to death for the answer........

I see that it's a common problem out there.
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

check your camcorder settings. Vista shouldn't be the issue David.
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Camcorder is HDV out.

But if I change it to DV out, it will Capture.

Camcorder Captures fine on another computer with Xp.

Not the camera
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Have you tried powering up the camera before you launch Vegas? Vista needs to recognize the camera before it can pass this on to Vegas. Vegas may not respond if you power up the camera after you have launched Vegas. Just a thought. I run Vista 64 with Vegas 8.0c, 8.1, Edius ProV5 and Adobe CS3 plus others all capture just fine from my FX1 HDV or DV.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Try VLC to see if you can get an HDV signal. You have to refresh VLC's device list otherwise you won't see it listed.

(I use VLC to capture HDV when I want to monitor the video fullscreen - something that Vegas regretfully can't do).
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Major Player

VLC finds the HV20 in the Capture Device, but does not play or capture.

I have removed every software program that I can, except for Vegas, Nero Scene, and the bare essentials.

I removed the Virus Software (not hooked to Internet).

I have visited the Microsoft Vista 64 Forum, and noticed others are having similar problems with other Camcorders and in FCP.

Vista 64 will capture Standard DV like a charm, but acts like HDV doesn't exist. I hooked up the HV 20 to another computer with XP, and it Captures HDV perfectly.

Go figure...
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Major Player

Hmm - there's a terrible four letter word in what you say - Nero.

Nero, Pinnacle and Roxio are truly notorious for screwing up other software. In the DV world, I have lost count of the number of people I have advised to remove such programs because the video is missing in their other software but the transport controls remain active. They come back delighted that all of a sudden the other software works. I fear the same is true in the HDV world.

Try uninstalling Nero Scene...though the fact you can do DV lessens my confidence that it will work.
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #12
Major Player

I mean Neo Scene a Cineform Product. I tried removing it too.
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Major Player

I've just tried my HDR-HC1 on my Vista 64 system. I used VLC. I have two separate FireWire interfaces and it worked just fine with both.

What chipset does your FireWire interface use? One of mine is Texas Instruments and the other is AGERE. I have read of problems with VIA chipsets. Device Manager will tell you which you have.

I also came across these which may be of use:

Impossible HDV capture issue : HDV Format

Windows Vista does not enumerate an IEEE 1394a device that you connect to the computer (I don't think this will help, though)

And a quick Google for: HDV "Vista 64" yielded many similar issues to yours (little comfort, I know).
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Well, David, my apogies if it is a Vista issue. I'd not heard of it before, and have run Vegas on 7 or 8 configurations of Vista without capturing issue.

I recently had an issue with PP capturing, but it was definitely not Vista related.
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #15
Major Player

All I can find under manufacturer is: IEEE 1394 Compliant Host Vender

Driver is up to date.
David Rice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...