DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Precise cuts don't maintain accuracy when speed is changed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/16750-precise-cuts-dont-maintain-accuracy-when-speed-changed.html)

Glen Elliott November 6th, 2003 09:27 AM

Precise cuts don't maintain accuracy when speed is changed

I've found that precise cuts don't maintain their accuracy when the clip is slowed down. For example my source footage has a shot of a beach that cuts to a shot of a house. I zoom in really close (1:1..frame by frame) and splice the clip on the exact frame where the beach footage stops and the house footage starts (with quantize to frames enabled, mind you). If I use this house footage clip in between others in an edit I find, once rendered, the clip will retain a single frame blip from the beach footage that preceeded it on it's original clip. Yet I took extra care the cut was made precisely with not even a single overlapping frame from the footage prior to it. Why is this? Is this normal? Do you have to always go at least a few frames in on a new sceen to avoid getting overlapping frames from the last?

Edward Troxel November 6th, 2003 10:21 AM

So, you cut first and then slowed down? And now you say it has one additional frame?

HOW did you slow it down?

Glen Elliott November 6th, 2003 11:47 AM

Yeah cut it then slowed it down- via ctrl+drag.

Edward Troxel November 6th, 2003 12:16 PM

Can't say that I've seen that happen and couldn't quickly duplicate it. Even if it has happened, for me it would be the last frame of a dissolve an wouldn't be visible anyway (although it would certanly be visible on a "cuts only" program!). So, I don't have a quick answer for you other than trim it again.

Tor Salomonsen November 11th, 2003 03:17 AM

I'm guessing here.
Suppose Vegas is trying to match a certain number of frames to whatever your timeline is set to? Have you tried this with your timeline set to time and frames or absolute frames?

Glen Elliott November 12th, 2003 11:19 AM

Tor, I have the timeline set to 29.97 drop, and quantize to frames is enabled. Don't know if this is specifically what you were referring to.
It's odd because it doesn't show up when I'm reviewing the footage on the timeline. It's only after it's been rendered out to MPG1.

Tor Salomonsen November 12th, 2003 11:43 AM

Zoom in so that one second is about 1 cm. Press right or left arrow on the keyboard a number of times. Your cursor should move one frame each time you press, but not every time! Ever so often Vegas needs to take up slack. I suppose if you cut at one of these points you may get unlucky and end up with one frame too many.

Glen Elliott November 12th, 2003 12:08 PM

But would it only show in the outputted MPG1 and not in the preview window prior to rendering?

Tor Salomonsen November 12th, 2003 02:55 PM

With the approximation neccessary to make these things sum up right I suppose it's possible, but I do not know.

Rafal Krolik November 19th, 2003 03:51 PM

Glen. I run into the same problem and here is my workaround. I cut out a piece I want to slow down and render it to a new track. I than take the newly rendered clip and slow it down. So far it has always worked as planned.

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 08:50 AM

I think I've had this "problem" as well. In and out-points change
when speed is changed. Also I've had major problems when a
clip was reversed and I wanted to set in and out-points. Not
workable.

Edward Troxel November 24th, 2003 11:12 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Also I've had major problems when a clip was reversed and I wanted to set in and out-points. Not workable. -->>>

It works just fine as long as you do the following:

Put the timeline at the END of the segment you want reversed and split at that point. Delete the part to the left and add the velocity envelope to the part on the right. Add the proper negative percentage and then find the proper end of the reversed clip.

DON'T trim and then reverse - reverse and then trim but START at the END.

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 12:40 PM

I'll try that and keep it in mind. Thanks Edward!

Joe Sacher November 24th, 2003 03:51 PM

One feature that would be very nice with velocity envelopes is to pin an event at a node. This would make all adjustments to the envelope pull or push video for the event, centered on that node. Sometimes with complex velocities on an event that needs to match for a cut, this would save considerable time. You would line up the clip, pin it, then adjust the edges and velocities.