DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   .VOB to .AVI - Best way for use in Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/170865-vob-avi-best-way-use-vegas.html)

Art Varga April 7th, 2009 12:07 PM

.VOB to .AVI - Best way for use in Vegas?

A client gave me some .vob footage to edit. I downloaded MPEG Streamclip and got a nice looking AVI export. Tried to import into Vegas but it only accepts the audio on the timeline. I tried various codecs on the Streamclip export with same result. So the first question is, does anyone know of SC codec that will produce a file I can use in Vegas? As a workaround I imported the file I produced from SC into Windows Movie Maker and created a new AVI which looks just ok but not great. Any other ideas for a workflow to from .vob into vegas?

Art

Mike Kujbida April 7th, 2009 01:45 PM

Try the File - Import - DVD Camcorder Disc option.
When the requestor comes up, simply browse to the folder on your heard drive where the VOB is and click on it.
Follow the prompts that follows and you'll end up with an MPG file in your project.
Render this to AVI if you want or just use it as is.

Art Varga April 7th, 2009 02:58 PM

When I browse using theDVD Camcorder option I can't see the VOB file. Interestingly if I use Import Media - I can see the file and can import into the project. When I put the vob on the timeline however, only 10 seconds of the 15 minute clip show up.

David Warrilow April 7th, 2009 06:03 PM

Hi Art,
can you see the VOB files in a normal Win explorer window? If so, can you drag them into the project media window directly from explorer? You may have already tried this but sometimes in the past I have found that the Vegas explorer doesn't 'see' certain file types but if you drag them in directly from a win explorer window, they load in just fine. My memory is that .VOB files are some of these.

Regards,
David.

Art Varga April 7th, 2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Warrilow (Post 1064318)
Hi Art,
can you see the VOB files in a normal Win explorer window? If so, can you drag them into the project media window directly from explorer?

Thanks - I'll try that though I suspect that may have the same result as import media in which case I still need to figure out why Vegas is only seeing 10 seconds of the 15 minute clip.

Art

Mike Kujbida April 7th, 2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 1063748)
When I browse using theDVD Camcorder option I can't see the VOB file.

Art, make sure the VOB file is in it's own folder.
Then browse only as far as the folder and click OK.
It should then import for you.
I just tried this with a VOB file that I grabbed from an existing DVD folder on one of my hard drives and it worked for me.