Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 28th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #1486
Sponsor: JET DV

Yeah, I would just plug the projector into the Monitor connector on the back of the laptop. Then you can simply play back the video full screen.
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #1487
RED Code Chef

1. set the laptop resolution to 800x600 if it can or otherwise 1024x768

2. connect the projector and see if you can get a picture. Most laptops have special buttons to activate output ports. Sometimes you can also do it in display properties of Windows (under advanced). Sometimes it might take a (re)boot WITH the projector CONNECTED before you can switch outputs! Make sure it is set to 24 or 32 bit color

3. start a software DVD player like WinDVD or PowerDVD

4. make the software full screen (usually a double-click in the playback window)

5. insert the DVD

That should be all. Ofcourse it is easier to just use a normal
DVD player with a projector that accepts composite or SVHS
in. Then it's just hooking up and hitting play basically. Since
DVD players can be had very cheap now-a-days this might be
a better way to proceed.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #1488
Wrangler

More V5 and external HD questions

I want to set up a workflow where I can work on projects at home on my desktop and on the road with my laptop w/ external hd. I'd have to put all the media and .veg files on the external and swap them from machine to machine during the length of the project.

1-Are there any problems with this workflow?

2-What if I do some prerenders on my desktop computer (which is configured to render it out to an internal drive)....once I move the project to my laptop will the prerenders simply just NOT be available...or will Vegas recognize it and ask me to search for them?

3-I know you can set up the Vegas presets to define where you want the default drives for capture, prerenders, temp files, and recorded files. Is there a way to save the location of these within the .veg file? In other words can I have it so when I load a project off my external drive on my desktop it will look to the external for the prerenders/temps, etc? In other words can you define the drive locations specific to a project (.veg)?

4-Lastly, if you cannot do what I asked above...and I set my laptop to save the prerenders, temps, etc to the external drive on my laptop...what happens when I open up Vegas on my laptop WITHOUT the external drive there? Does it automatically save prerenders, etc...to the default locations. Will it throw me an error message?

Thanks in advance!
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #1489
RED Code Chef

1) that is NO problem. The ONLY trick you will need to do (if you don't want to click through endless dialogs) is make sure both machines see the partition(s) on the external drive on the same drive letters. I usually use M for media and O for output.

Just go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management. Right-click on the partition(s) in question and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Click Change and then choose a new drive letter. Once
you've done this on both machines Windows should remember
it!

2) If they are on the internal drive Vegas will definitely not find them. If you somehow save pre-renders to the external drive I do believe Vegas will ask for them and you can locate them. Better yet, if you setup both Vegas installations to point to the same drive letter (you setup under point 1 above!) it should load it automatically. But I've not worked with this much myself, so I might be wrong here

3) To the best of my knowledge, you can't. But if you do things under point 1 above you can then setup both installations of Vegas the same way.

4) I think it will through error messages

You can also do the same if machines are networked with
networked drives. Always have them at the same drive letter
on each machine so you can load everything up in a go.

A well known 3D application called LightWave have has a nice
trick. You start the application and then set where the content
folder is located. It will then try to load everything from that as
a start point. Works great, especially with network rendering.

It is always a good design philosophy to have network drives
and external drives mount on each system to the same drive
letters. The higher your drive letters are, the better the chance
every machine has those available. For example:

If you mount your external drive on your laptop as the E drive
since it only has a C and D (DVD player for example) and you
then move it over to your main tower who has a harddisk with
3 partitions (C, F & G) and 2 CD/DVD players (D & E) you'll have
a "problem". Therefore I always choose drive letters for such
specific things like: M, O, X, Y & Z for example. Works great that
way.

Hope this was of some help to you.

Old April 28th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #1490
RED Code Chef

In my personal opinion you are going about it the wrong way if
even 1 gig counts. Why? Because you can easily need some
re-shooting, or some uncompressed saving, or some audio tracks
and whatnot.

I gotta ask why just not get a big (external) harddisk. They are
very cheap and will save time with the recapture (and problems
that might arrise from it). I believe 120 GB is the size for most
bang for the buck at the moment. You can easily store 9 (!!)
hours of DV on that. So if you go with a 60 GB you can store 4.5.
Or 6 hours on an 80 GB drive. Check your local prices! It is far
easier to just go in once and be able to do a final render and be
done with it.

If you are going to be doing batch capturing like this you will need
to have 30 seconds (at least) of head space on each and every
tape and not have a single timecode break or else it will not work.
Not even to talk about the extra time this all takes.

As said here, Vegas does not have it and everybody in this
thread would go with the full resolution files.

Old April 28th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #1491

I agree with Rob - should be no problem at all. It would be BEST if you used the same drive letters in both cases and it would also be best if pre-renders were put on the external drive.

If any files are not present (such as pre-renders), then Vegas will ask for the new location. If they are truely not available, you have an option to "leave offline".

If you start Vegas and the "default save location" is not available, I believe it will go back to using an available drive (probably the original default location). It may also present an error message. In the times I have started Vegas with the external drive turned off, I have not seen any error messages but also have not tried to do much editing until the drive was reconnected.

If you mount your external drive on your laptop as the E drive
since it only has a C and D (DVD player for example) and you
then move it over to your main tower who has a harddisk with
3 partitions (C, F & G) and 2 CD/DVD players (D & E) you'll have
a "problem".

This is the only point in which I'll slightly disagree with Rob. While I agree that it is BEST if the drive letter can be the same, in the presented case it should still work. When opening the project, it would unsuccessfully look for the info on Drive E, not find it, and then simply ask for the new location (such as Drive H...). It will be a very small "problem".
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #1492
RED Code Chef

I meant it in the way Edward slight disagrees <g> Ofcourse you
can still open the files if they are in another place. It will just not
open seamlessly anymore. That's why problem was in quotes
as well... The semantics of writing! Thanks for making me clarify
it a bit Edward!

Old April 28th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #1493
Regular Crew

Thanks, Sean.
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #1494
Wrangler

Ok let me see if I get this all...

First off my workflow doesn't usually include true prerenders...oddly enough I never found a use for it. All I usually do is do a ram render to see a small portion to make sure the effect looks good, etc. So having the prerenders available on the removable drive that my project resides may be a non-issue.

You guys have, however, brought up a good point regarding the drive letter. Now if I first configure my external drive on my laptop and manually assign it a separate letter (for example: M)...once I unattach it and connect it to my desktop will it hold that letter, or will XP reassign a new letter for it?

Also, if for the sake of argument I don't change the drive letter and simply let XP assign whatever letter it chooses how will that affect me. If the .Veg file resides on the external hd, as does the media associated with it...wouldn't that be a non-issue as well?
A good example are the new project example files for V5. You simply copy the .Veg files to whatever drive- double click the drive and the project loads with all the media. I didn't think the drive letter affected that. What does the .Veg file do exactly anyway? I know it 1.Stores all info on edits of events and 2.Stores location of media that fill the events.
I'd have to assume the .Veg file only looks for the folders names for which the media is located for the project. Reason being I can move the sample project files over to my drive D and they load all the same. Correct?

Though I might be missing the point completly...and drive lettering is only for keeping continuity for prerender/temp file placement.

Anyway I really wouldn't want to make the external drive my default drive for housing all my Vegas prerenders and temp files (regardless of how little I used them). Reason being is I want the ability to use my desktop for editing various projects as well *without* the use of the external on most occasions. I'd use the external for projects I'd be working on, on the go....for the versatility to bring them to my desktop machine for audio editing (laptop speakers stink).

That was one of my questions I wasn't sure about. When you go through Vegas and assign all the areas to hold prerenders, temp files, and captured media....is that global or can that be done individually for each project. In other words can I have project A have all my media and prerenders on drive M (for example) on my desktop computer. And project B have it's media and prerenders on drive X. In other words can VEG files save the configuration info where various assets are located from project to project ...if they differ?

*Sorry for the long-winded response...I'm trying my best to convey my questions*

PS If prerenders are the product of Shift+M, what are "Temp files"?
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:24 PM   #1495

When you hook the drive to each machine, the drive letter will have to be configured separately.

If you DON'T use the same drive letter, when you open the VEG file it will simply ask you where the files reside. Point Vegas to the new location and all will be fine.
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #1496
Regular Crew

Thank you for the replies guys.

Duncan: I've never looked at this type of application before, so in this case the sarcasm was appreciated.

Rob and Edward, thanks once again for your help.

Andy
Old April 29th, 2004, 02:31 AM   #1497
Wrangler

tech-challenged editor can't sync audio

You know how some people should just do gardening and stuff like that? I think I'm one of 'em. I've been reading threads on the subject of out-of-sync audio, plus Edward Troxel's "Editing Multi-Cam Events." Now I'm so frustrated I can't think straight (not that that's anything new). Here are a few of the problems:

1. I've tried fine-tuning the alignment on two audio tracks by using the 1 and 3 keys on my numberpad. They don't "nudge" the audio (amazingly, I could do that in Premiere)--they just move the cursor down the timeline. What am I doing wrong?

2. I've got Excalibur 1.5 so tried to run Sync Wizard by following the written instructions. Nothing happens. Can someone please walk me through the process, as I must be missing steps?

3. Even with no effects, when I try to watch footage on an external monitor it's out of sync. (Runs through camera and VCR to tv.) After reading something around here I noticed that the information in the media pool shows the audio at 32,000 Hz, and the project properties shows 44,100. Is that a bad thing?

4. On an earlier attempt, I switched between cameras by using a composite envelope on the top video track. Watching the finished video on tape I realized that at each dissolve the audio is out of sync. What's up with that?

I'm sure this all sounds as dumb as I feel, but I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old April 29th, 2004, 02:50 AM   #1498
RED Code Chef

A fellow moderator says:

" The TRV 27 has firewire and analogue in and out as for the others I’m not too sure "

So in theory it should work with the TRV 27. Have you checked
the manuals to see if it has anything in there about pass-through?

Anyone else knows if this will work for these camera's?

Old April 29th, 2004, 03:06 AM   #1499
Inner Circle

Does your audio playback too fast? If it doesn't sound normal, it's due to the sampling rate mismatch you mentioned.
Old April 29th, 2004, 03:29 AM   #1500
RED Code Chef

To the best of my knowledge all those preference settings are
GLOBAL settings in Vegas and not project specific!

As Edward pointed out a driver letter assignment is only valid
for a particular machine you do it on. So if you set the drive to
M on your laptop it will not by default be M on your desktop. Just
change it to M there as well and since each machine will remember
the setting itself it will work on both machines from that point on.

Temp files are pre-renders plus renders Vegas does when needed
I think.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...