Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 103 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2004, 10:25 PM   #1531
Trustee

is that player out already?
Old May 1st, 2004, 11:47 PM   #1532
Regular Crew

<<<-- Can't be done in DVDA1 without workarounds. -->>>

Unfortunetly I am using DVDA1.. so, what's the workaround? Don't tell me I have to combine my projects into a big one...can't justify the high price of dvda2, maybe time to look at other solutions, like myDVD?...thanks.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1533
Regular Crew

In DVDA 1, drop your clips in as a Music Compilation, and they will play sequentially.

Gary
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:13 PM   #1534
Sponsor: JET DV

There are three workarounds with which I am familiar:

1) use ONE great big file
2) Create a music compilaton (which will play them sequentially but will not let you have a specially built menu)
3) Manually edit the VOB files.

Best bet is to upgrade to DVDA2. The cost ISN'T that much (about $200 for Vegas 5 AND DVDA2.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:07 PM   #1535
New Boot

can't set preferred audio editor

When I go to the preferences and set the preferred audio editor, it won't save in the preferences. When I close the preferences window and try to open an audio section in the audio editor, it says I don't have an audio editor specified. Is there some way I'm supposed to save the preferences after I change them?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:09 AM   #1536

Preferences save automatically. Are you specifying the full path to the preferred audio program???
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:46 PM   #1537
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

V5 can handle pull down removal on film based projects.

you need to do the removal thru the media pool ..
find your clip in V5 media pool - right click on clip then choose FILE FORMAT Properties ... check the box to enable 3-2 removal then you must choose what frame for it to start ... read the manual ..
basically you start with 0 then you want to advance the clip frame by frame. if you see interlace artifacts ( withing 8 frames ) then 0 is NOT the starting point go back and change it to 1 repeat frame by frame ..once you see NO interlace aritfact on your computer preview then you are set .. the nice thing about removal here is that V does not use the CPU to remove it - the avi engine does the removal so in Vegas with project properties set up as 24p you will get 23.98 solid playback... if you just set up a 24p project anything you drop into Vegas TL vegas will do a auto removal pull down ( it may not hit the correct sequence but any 60i clip will playback at 23.98) BUT V must use the CPU power for removal and on my PIV2.4 i only get around 17fps ..but doing removing thru media poll i get solid 23.98
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM   #1538
New Boot

As far as I know, yes. I click browse and select the executable file. After this, the path is displayed in the text box next to where it says preferred audio editor. Once I close the preferences and try to open an audio file, it says there's no audio editor specified.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #1539
Regular Crew

I have a Wacom Graphire 3 that I use with Vegas. I use the mouse unless I am drawing with Photoshop and it works just like any other mouse.
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #1540
Wrangler

My point is the Wacom isn't going to make building bezier style masks easier.
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #1541
Major Player

"Frame Recompressed" ???

I see this in the preview window when I have Vegas 4e in EXT. monitor mode and the courser is on a transition on the timeline

Note I do not see it on the NTSC Ext monitor just on the computer monitor

Thanks

Vince
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #1542

You will see that any time the video frame is being affected by something (such as a dissolve). In order to display the dissolve, the frame must be "recompressed" to be shown on the external monitor. When playing straight DV with no effects at all, the "frame recompressed" message will NOT appear.
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #1543
Major Player

Thanks Edward Soooo much to learn..
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #1544
Wrangler

Slip trimming?

What is the difference between simply trimming a clip (clicking the edge of an event and draging) and slip trimming (holding alt while draging an event edge).
I'm reading the manual here and can't fathom what the difference is. Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #1545
Regular Crew

Let's say you have a sequence

ABCDEFG

if you trim it from the left two increments, it'll now be:

CDEFG

if you slip trim it from the left two increments, it'll now be:

ABCDE

in other words, slip trimming from the left is like regular trimming from the right. slip trimming from the right is like regular trimming from the left. the only difference is the clip's final position on the timeline. slip trimming helps when there are already clips before and after the clip you're editing. hope this helps
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...