Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 104 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 5th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #1546
Regular Crew

if you have a large clip that has time/date information, open it up in the trimmer and there'll be markers where each new scene begins. Using the markers, it's easy to select from one marker to another, in essence only choosing one scene out of a large file. It's almost as easy and useful as having the file actually broken down into seperate files.
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #1547
Regular Crew

Yes, just make sure when dragging and dropping the clip that the cursor is on the exact video track that you want it to be on. Otherwise it'll end up above or below. If the cursor is on the video track that already contains some footage, it'll place it there with a crossfade. hope that helps.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #1548
Regular Crew

Copy Protection

Hi Guys!

I have a video which I watch fairly often, which is showing signs of wear.

Now I have the equipment, I would like to transfer it to DVD to preserve it.

With VHS I have shot on a DV, I re-record it to the DV camera, then capture using Vegas. With the Commercial Video, the DV Camera (A Sony of about 3 years vintage) will not record due to protection on the Video.

How then do I get the video into Vegas? Is there a way to bypass the protection on the video?

I don't want to spend more money on a converter.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:27 PM   #1549
Regular Crew

Actually, to use your example:

Trrim the in point two increments is indeed CDEFG,

but the slipped event (assuming we start with the whole length of the media) would be

CDEFGAB

In other words, the length of the event remains constant, but what you see of the media is slipped to a different point within the event.

Gary
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:46 PM   #1550
Regular Crew

>if you have a large clip that has time/date information, open it up in the trimmer and there'll be markers where each new scene begins<

Allen,

That's a new one on me. Please tell us where these markers are and what they look like.

Gary
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #1551
Regular Crew

They look just like the normal markers on a timeline. Actually, this is what I think happened, since only some of my footage displays them: I think that long ago I captured some video with Premiere and checked "scene detect" but it didn't chop up my footage into individual files. Instead, it placed markers inside the one large file, which are readable by Vegas' trimmer. This is the only explanation I can find seeing as only a small amount of my footage automatically comes up with these scene markers.
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #1552
Regular Crew

That would be a cool feature.

Gary
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #1553
Sponsor: JET DV

I can give you another explanation. When you have placed markers on the timeline and then render to a new AVI file with the "save markers" option checked, this file will then show the "markers" when loaded into Vegas.

I know of no feature in which markers are shown based on breaks in timecode.
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #1554
Regular Crew

yeah but that specific scenario can't be the one, because i just got vegas and the .avi file I loaded was captured over a year ago in premiere. it hasn't been touched by Vegas, yet it was full of markers at every time/date break. this suggests to me that Vegas does have some way to seperate a large file by scenes after it has already been captured.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #1555
Regular Crew

simple way to add mask off top and bottom (letterboxing)

I shoot in letterbox mode in my camera, so the footage has black on the top and bottom. However, after doing some color correction the black becomes a dark blue. I want it to be black, though, so I need to create new masks. What's the easiest way to do a letterbox effect in Vegas?
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:39 AM   #1556
Trustee

Use the Pan & Crop tool and choose the 16X9 preset.
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #1557
Wrangler

Yep! But no support for it- ie No NLEs that make use of it...yet. Hoepfully Dual Layer support will be added in a DVDA patch.
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #1558
Wrangler

Noticed something new in V5

Love the new feature where you can "see" the speed of the clip while resizing via ctrl+drag. The little number in the bottom right of the audio is quite helpfull. Oddly enough if I delete my audio then resize a video clip it doesn't show up in the video track...apparently isn't only for the audio track. Odd.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #1559
Wrangler

Gary isn't that a slip edit. I'm talking about a slip TRIM. I understand the principal behind slip and slide edits. I just can't figure out what a slip trim is...or how it differs from a simple trim?

The way Allen is describing it- the slip trim will trip the end of footage opposite the end you actually click to slip trim.
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:05 AM   #1560
Regular Crew

Glen,

Sorry, you're right.

Slip TRIM is like pulling the edge along the timeline, and the opposite edge keeps anchored at it's position, thereby making the event longer and playing more of the media (or looping it).

Try it for yourself after you turn on Preferences> Video> show cource frame numbers. It's not hard to see what's happening.

Gary
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...