Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 111 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2004, 04:25 AM   #1651
Major Player

Hi,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on performance. I've been sceptical to antivirus software for a long time because of the performance impact. A while ago I got Norton AV 2004 - and I must say that it is rather conservative on using resources.

You can see for yourself - open the taskmanager and go to the menu "View -> Select columns " and make sure the column "CPU Time" is marked. Now you can see how much CPU time a given process takes. NAV 2004 runs for about 4 seconds on my machine ( that is during boot and login procedure ) - after that it just idles in the background. Depending on WHAT you do on your machine the AV software will behave differently - ie. lots of file writing => much AV CPU, generally rendering video concerns a few ( 20-30 ) rather large files, and AV won't impact much at all.

I have the same box for Software developing, surfing and video rendering - never had ANY problems. I use a hardware firewall ( DLINK 804 ) and AV software + I always read the security bulletins on MS and other sites.

Happy rendering!

// Lazze
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #1652
Sponsor: JET DV

Personally, I usually use the "Master Track" approach and just move the segements I want to a top track. Then I don't have to worry about any envelopes and render time is nothing on the un-altered segments.

However, I've discussed multiple ways of doing this type of thing in the multicam article here: http://www.jetdv.com/tts.
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #1653
Regular Crew

Vegas 5 crashes while rendering audio

Murphy loves me. I'm at the tail end of a long project and the deadline is now in my face. I was real happy until a few minutes ago when Vegas 5 refused to render my audio and keeps crashing no matter what I do.

I'm trying to create a DVD with the Sony DVD+ program so in Vegas, I rendered to the MPEG2 format which has no audio. Video rendered fine. However trying to render audio in Sony's PCA, Sony W64 or Microsoft wav, Vegas 5.0 crashes at about 20%.

I tried rendering to different drives (all defragged with plenty of room), I tried rebooting. I tried muting the video tracks.

In the meantime, I'll try using uncompressed .avi with the huffy codec for the DVD creation.

Any suggestions on the audio render though ? Thanks
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #1654
Regular Crew

Updating - Opinion please Edward

Hi Edward and every one else.

Any reason why the free upgrade from 4 to 5 during the offer time was restricted to US residents only?

Not happy!

Andy
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #1655
New Boot

Vegas 5 Scripts

I'm a new user of Vegas 5.
Could anyone suggest me where could I find a demo version of Tsunami, Excalibur, Neon for Vegas 5 ?
I would be pleased to try these scripts.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #1656
Regular Crew

Dohhhh,

I should have downloaded the latest build of Vegas. I was at build 122 and installing build 134 fixed that problem.

Wheeew ! Dodged another bullet from Murphy.
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #1657

Let's make this a point right now:

If you are not on 5.0a (build 134) - UPDATE!!!

The ONLY changes between 5.0 and 5.0a was bug fixes. Many bugs people are complaining about have already been fixes as long as you are using the current version.

Jim, thanks for letting us know that this is what fixed your problem.
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #1658

I can see nothing that refers to "US Only" on either of these pages:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/rebates/vegas.asp
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...s/vegasdvd.asp

Have you contacted customer service?
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #1659

I think I might know where to find them :-)

http://www.jetdv.com/tsunami
http://www.vegastrainingandtools.com
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #1660

After looking, it doesn't appear the Vegas 5 versions of the demos are yet posted for Excalibur and Neon - but they DO exist. Contact me or Gary Kleiner and we'll make sure you can get access to the demos.

Demo restrictions - can only be run 15 times - so, if you start the program and hit cancel it counts as a run!!!
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #1661
Major Player

Trimmer toggle? All I get is a still.

There must be something I accidentally hit, but while I can step through footage in the trimmer window, frame by frame, and see that it's all there, when I try to play it in the trimmer, all I get is a still from where the cursor is parked. Any suggestions? I've rooted around and am stumped. Never run into this before.

Marcia
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #1662
New Boot

It didn't look like anyone mentioned it yet, but if you are running XP, turn off all the pretty, theme things. This will help a little bit and it's free.

Go into the System control panel->Advanced Tab->Performance and put the dot on best performance.

Also, go into MSCONFIG and make sure that all the unneeded things are turned off on the Startup and System tabs.

I really love the Movie Magic plugin with 5.0, but it really does add to rendering time.
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #1663
RED Code Chef

Which version of Vegas? Any chance you have a camera or other
device attached to the firewire port and have external monitor
enabled and it gets confused?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #1664
Major Player

Version 4. I've had 5 for about a month but haven't installed it. (I'm headed into production and swamped.) And no, nothing is attached, and the external monitor isn't toggled on. The preview pane works fine if I want to view the cut edit in the timeline, but clicking on a clip in the media pool, to view in the trimmer, just brings up a still, as I said. Audio plays as usual. Don't know what it is.

I may punt and install 5. Surely it won't do the same. But I hate something going on with a program and not knowing how to get out of the situation.

Nobody has seen this?
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #1665
Major Player

can I upconvert in Vegas the 720x480 SD from the DVX100 to HD 1280x720

In Vegas can I upconvert the 720x480 SD from the DVX100 to HD 1280x720, and if so, how can it be done?

Thanks
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...