Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 112 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #1666
Major Player

Am going to be at the Sony Media Showcase in Denver today at 2:30 hope to see some cool Vegas stuff ...have only worked in Vegas for about 2 months now but liking it more all the time

Vince
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #1667
Wrangler

Vegas backup workflow

In case the unlikely event of a hardrive going down (particularly since I started working with external drives and transporting them physically with me on the weekends) would these two steps be adequate for backing up my projects?
1. Backup my .VEG file(s)
2. Backup my default capture log files

Regarding #2, doesn't Vegas create a capture log file that you can use to automate recapturing of a tape. So assuming the hardrive my media files and .VEG files resides goes down I can use the capture log file to recapture the same exact footage used in the project. Move the re-captured footage into a directory with the backed up .VEG file and recover my project again from scratch? What other aspects need to be addressed? Names of the files when recapturing?...for the .VEG file to recognize them?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #1668
Sponsor: JET DV

#1 can be easily done using Neon.

#2 is less needed but you can manually copy the file when you exit the capture program. As long as you have the VEG file you can specify files to be recaptured.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:13 AM   #1669

I have never seen this and never heard anyone else report this. However, I'm still not fully understanding what you are saying. You open a video file from the media pool into the trimmer and you only get a single frame? Or you get all of the frames but, when playing, only see the frame where you started. It seems like i've read both ways in this thread.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #1670
Wrangler

#2 is less needed but you can manually copy the file when you exit the capture program. As long as you have the VEG file you can specify files to be recaptured.

So say for the sake of argument I lose the drive that houses ALL my media in my project. I can go back and rebuild the project by re-capturing the exact same footage from my original tapes using the .VEG file somehow?
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #1671
Major Player

Edward, I apologize for the confusion. It is the second case... I load it in the trimmer and while all the frames are clearly present (I know this because when I step through frame by frame the trimmer updates with each click) but the trimmer does not play the footage as it should, being that it's video. It's like a flip book that isn't flipping. Instead of moving, it remains on the frame where it was when I hit play. I can click around, move to another frame (and it updates) but as soon as I hit play, it does nothing more (as if I'd loaded in a still photo), while audio OTOH goes on it's merry way as it should.

Clear as mud? ;-)
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #1672

Yes. If you captured with the Vegas capture tool and that file is now gone, when you open the project it will tell you it is missing and one of the options is "Recapture media". A second option is "Recapture all off-line media".
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #1673

Does the cursor move while playing? Does the frame count under the preview window increase while playing?

May be time to do an uninstall/reinstall.
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1674
Major Player

Yes., yes, and I agree. But instead of a Vegas re-install, think it's time to load in my Vegas 5 upgrade that's been sitting on my shelf.

So you think it's "just one of those things," where something got corrupted? Here and I was beginning to think the program was acting up because it was miffed at me. See, I've been doing all my doc prep, and ignoring it. ;-)
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #1675
Old Boot

.. oh yessssirrreeee . ..

I did this .. . five days prior to the launch of a website that I had been commissioned to make an all singing and dancing fast moving video . . . On the Saturday ther drive sound like "A BAg of SPanners" . .. it went down, BIG time . . by the end of Sunday I had it all back together again . .HAHAHAHA .. .manic larf here . . This wqas NOT a good time to be around Grazie . .I Sh££t you not!?!?!?!

Anyways ,. . it happenend .. . the corowd went wild . . I got paid . . move on . ..

. .OH YES YES YES .. I kept and keep my Veggies under tight lock an dkey now .. separate drive AND on cd back up . . "Recapture Media" . . GREAT STUFF!!!!

Grazie
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #1676
Wrangler

Wow, never knew VEGs were that versitile. Where do you find recapture all media? Or is it an option when you load the VEG without the project media available?

Then what is the default capture file Vegas makes used for?

Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #1677

It's an option when you open a VEG file and the media is not available.
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #1678

Yes I do.

For Vegas 5, did you get the CD? If yes - skip the CD and download 5.0a from the internet instead.

For a simpler quick solution, you might try a "Repair install" of Vegas 4.
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #1679
Major Player

Re: can I upconvert in Vegas the 720x480 SD from the DVX100 to HD 1280x720

<<<-- Originally posted by Dwight Flynn : In Vegas can I upconvert the 720x480 SD from the DVX100 to HD 1280x720, and if so, how can it be done?

Thanks -->>>

Select 'Render As' in the 'File' menu dropdown, then Mainconcept MPEG2 from the file type flyout then any 720 HD template from the template list that suits.

Don't go expecting that this will magically turn your SD footage into HD output in terms of clarity or display quality on WS monitors etc.
I'd be pretty certain that there's no bicubic resampling algorithm for upsampling SD sources to HD sources in the Mainconcept encoder, but I'm not certain.
I have been able to use this method to render out 1080 HD from 720 HD sources without any degredation (though the JVC-HD10 720p stream should be able to do this), so I guess you'll never know till you give it a go!!!
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #1680
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Edward.

Am in the process of sorting it out with customer service, hopefully they will honour the deal.

Cheers,

Andy
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...