Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 118 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #1756
Wrangler

Edward you seem to be pretty well cued into the "known-problems". There was an issue I brought up that you explained was a known problem as well. Would you mind compiling a small list of the known problems? That people can check the list before feverishly posting here for answers...like Peter and I both did.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #1757
Trustee

The burner is out, the media is not. As for an NLE that supports it, you don't need one. All you need is an authoring tool that will let you make projects bigger than 4.7 GB, and the bundled Nero software that does burn to DL disks.

I have no idea how the layer break is handled though. Hopefully media will be out soon so we can find out.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #1758
Trustee

It is so easy with the Color Corrector. Just use Choose Complementary Color (the left dropper) to render a target neutral.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #1759
Regular Crew

Sony Media Software Showcase - Today!

Just a reminder that the Sony Media Software Showcase will be happening today in Southern California. Come meet Douglas Spotted Eagle and Gary Kleiner at this free event.

Date: Monday - May 24th, 2004

Times: 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.

Where: Radisson Hotel
6161 Centinela Ave.
Culver City, CA 90230

Phone: 310-649-1776

Jay Mitchell
SCVUG Host
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #1760
Major Player

Scripting in vegas 5 ( Edward... :-)

Hi Guys,

I do work as a professional software developer - but I must say that I feel rather stupid when it comes down to writing scripts!

I'm use to working in C#/C/C++ - in the longest I've avoided scripts ( except silly ones for webpages )

Last night I was looking through the example scripts and stuff for Vegas and now I feel like doing some on my own... some questions though:

1. How do I debug them? Or can't I? I can't compile the scripts outside Vegas - casue then "Vegas" is unknown

2. No luck attaching the CLR-debugger ( dbgclr )

3. Which editor do you use? I thought Visual Studio 2003 should be fine - but it gives very ample support for writing JScripts.

4. Is it possible to instantiate a "new Vegas"-object? Object browser tells me that it is a public class...but when I try I get an error telling me it is private... shoule be fun to make c# extensions for Vegas ... I've done some extensions for photoshop - where you just new the Photoshop.applicationobject and of you go!

Ok, lots of thechnical talk here - hope to get some response!

TIA!

// Lazze
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #1761
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward and Imran. It was well worth battling the automated parking device in downtown Orlando for the 30 minutes prior to my arrival. I do appreciate the help that many would require payment to provide.

Brad
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:49 PM   #1762
Wrangler

Anyone take any photos?
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #1763
Wrangler

Ah!
Thanks. Any suggestions for sites with free fonts to download?
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #1764
Major Player

I just bought Smartsound's Sonicfire 3 at NAB (it 's on a UPS truck somewhere right now...).

I looked closely at Acid, and decided to get a copy of 3.0. The learning curve looked much steeper, plus I never really solved the question of sorting out loops to find the ones I'd need to make any given soundtrack. But Acid looks like a deeper tool that would allow more creativity and control.

I'm planning on using Sonicfire to 'score' the memorial and possibly training/corporate videos coming up. It appears to be the quickest way to get a decent soundtrack created on a PC. Then, I can always tweak things in Vegas 5.0, or Acid 3.0, to make sure every soundtrack is unique.

It would be cool if Sony decided to create a competitor to FCP's Soundtrack that would fit with Vegas.

Scott
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #1765
Regular Crew

I mean if I save as to local shared address, and try access the file from a remote location, it doesn't work. So it just doe not support it I guess.
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #1766
Trustee

No, sorry, nobody had a camera...

It really happened, we swear!
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #1767
Sponsor: JET DV

Well, it's not all as easy as it seems. For "debugging", I run the program and, if it won't "compile", it will tell me the line it dies on. If it CAN, then it will attempt to run and either given me an error specifying a line of code or a general failure error with no error at which time you have to add some manual debugging code to find the exact error location.

Recently I've started using the SharpDevelop editor but Excalibur, Neon, and Tsunami were all written in Notepad.

If you have not done so, you need to check out the pages at:
http://www.ayizwe.net/VegasScripts/
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:12 PM   #1768
Sponsor: JET DV

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to just sit down and make a list. However, I CAN remember if it's something I've read about several times.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #1769
Regular Crew

Hi Guys!

After a mega load down session (over 16hrs for all the stuff!) i got it all happening without any dramas.

Harry: What transition shocks were you alluding too? I haven't had much time to do much, but it seems very much like 4.0 for me, although having said that I am not doing too much that involves using any of the heavy artillery in the program.

The celeron upgrade? yeah, just waiting for the price to fall a bit, then I'm there! :)

Seems odd you can't save the pan / crop settings. Hope they fix that soon.

Biggest buzz has been DVDA 2. Got it up and sussed very quickly. No frills but a great workflow.

Thanks for the replies!

Andy
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #1770
RED Code Chef

If Best does that I suggest you stay at Good. The difference is
minimal between the two (according to people in the know). I
can't remember hearing about this problem before. It might be
a new bug you have discovered.

Are you running 5.0A? If not, upgrade to that version immediately
(download off the website). The A release contains many bug
fixes.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...