Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 134 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #1996
Major Player

i used the ctrl-drag method. but it didn't quite bring out the effect i was looking for. the video looked ok, but the audio sounded stuttered and cut up. the sound i'm looking for is similar to what you hear when you fast forward a tape while listening to it. a fast, high-pitched version of the original. isn't there a simple and short way to do that with vegas?
Old June 19th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #1997
Major Player

ok got it. i do appreciate the advantages of being able to delete each section seperately and i see where this could be useful. but was hoping that there was a way to lock the audio to the video in such a way that whatever i do to the video will have an identical effect on the audio, including deleting an event.

rob: i'm using vegas 4.0 (build 115). i haven't updated to 5.0 yet. people on this forum have suggested to wait a bit for debugged versions of 5.0 to come out.

thanks.
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #1998
Sponsor: JET DV

I can tell you that there is absolutely no reason to wait to upgrade to 5. It is working great on every machine I use. It also has many advantages and new features. Also, it HAS been announced that a 5.0b version will be released soon (no dates given).
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #1999
Major Player

cool. thanks. i'll update!!
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #2000

In all honesty, Sound Forge would do a better job as it's a dedicated audio manipulation program. Can you try doing it in Sound Forge and see how that sounds?
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #2001

Plus, it will NOT overwrite Vegas 4 so, if you do happen to have any problems, you can still use Vegas 4.
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #2002
Major Player

doing it in sound forge or cubase can be done easily. i know how to do that. i'm just a bit surprised there is no simple way to do it in vegas. when i jog through the shot quickly, i DO hear the sound as i would have liked to have it. oh well, i'll open it up in cubase and do it.

thanks edward
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #2003

Vegas is kind of unique in the NLE world because of it's strong audio capabilities. However, it was designed more as an audio MIXER than editor. You still need Sound Forge to do some things even though most things can be done directly in Vegas.
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #2004
Major Player

can i re-capture media clips?

is it possible to re-capture a project's media clips?
the situation is like this: i'm working on a project. i've already captured all the video clips i need and have them stored on my hard drive. but half-way through editing, i realized that accidently i captured the clips with audio sample rate set at 16 bit/sec instead of 24. if i choose to, can i erase the media clips i have saved at the moment, recapture the media clips with the audio sampling rate set at the preferred 24 bits/sec, give the clips the same names they had before, open vegas, open the project i had been working on and continue editing?
Old June 20th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #2005
Old Boot

Hiyah Adi!

Yes . . I had a project totally but totally go tits up on me .. one week before the launch!

Okay, as long as you have the VEG file you can "recapture" media. I would experiment with a "draft" project, a type of alternative to the original VEG - yeah?

Study the online help and look for "recapture" media. It would be too complex to describe it here, but it is fairly painless. Once you are into recapture MAKE sure you recpature at the corect audio depth. I haven't done EXACTLY what you're trying to attempt .. but I can't see at the moment what the problems would be .. As I say do this with an experimental VEG first - yeah? oh yes take notes of what you did ..

Hope this helps,

Grazie
Old June 20th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #2006

Umm.... exactly HOW did you capture? If you capture via firewire, it's like copying a file from the camera to the hard drive. The audio will be identical to what's on the tape. If you recapture via firewire, it will come in exactly the same way.
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #2007
Major Player

i capture from my mini DV via firewire. i figured there wouldn't be a problem with recapturing what i have recorded on my mini DV tapes, because, as you say, the files will be identical. i just wanted to make absolutely sure before i go ahead and erase all that i have already captured from my hard drive (since i am more than halfway done editing the project). thanks!
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #2008
Inner Circle

dude no need, dvd and dv only go up to 16 bit anyway..

the only real use for 24bit is dvd audio.. and i wouldnt be using a DV cam for that anyways..
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #2009
Major Player

"... dvd and dv only go up to 16 bit anyway"

i must be misunderstanding something. i was sure that dvd audio is 24 bit/sec like audio cd's. i admit that i've always felt uncertain when it comes to technical details. i barely know what it means. but i was completely convinced that the audio on dvd's was 24 bit/sec. wierd.
Old June 20th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #2010
Major Player

Yes, you have a few things confused. There is no such thing as 24 bits per second.

There are two main things that describe the format of digital audio, the first is "sample rate" this is how many individual samples of audio are taken every second. In the case of audio CD's, this is 44,100 sample per second (44.1k), for the audio portion of DV video, it is normally 48,000 sample per second (48k). (Although, it can also be 32k.) Sample rate affects frequency response.

The second part of digital audio is the "bit depth", this determines how precisely the audio file can describe changes in the amplitude, or volume. In the case of both audio CD's and DV video, this is 16 bits. 16bit resolution can describe 65,535 different levels of amplitude. (Actually, +/- 32,767), from silence to full volume. 24bit audio can describe 16,700,000 discrete points of amplitude resolution. Obviously, a much higher resolution than 16bit audio. However, the audio which is captured from a DV camcorder via Firewire is 16bits and normally at a 48k sample rate. Depending on how you have your camcorder set, the audio can also be 32k 12bit, but there is normally no point in doing that, it should always be set to 48k 16bit.

Finally, yes, DVD's can support up to 24bit audio and normally at a sample rate of 96k, but your DV footage is 48k, 16bit, so just use that.

John.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...