Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 1st, 2004, 06:04 PM   #211
Trustee

No, you can keep going for a while. The cutoff is probably closer to 2Gb then 512MB. I'm going to try to dig up the exact specs on what XP Home vs. XP Pro vs. Server 2003 will make use of. I do know that XP Home won't take advantage of multi-processors, and XP Pro only makes use of 2 processors, and Server can do up to 4 for some versions, and more for others.

I don't recall there being any limitations in the OS about RAM amount. Usually the limiting factor is your motherboard.
Old February 1st, 2004, 06:11 PM   #212
Trustee

Here are two sites I found... suggests the same, that Windows can take more, but has diminishing returns after 2Gb, unless you do some special configurations...

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxMoreThan2GB.htm

http://www.rsinc.com/services/techtip.asp?ttid=3346

In other words, you can load up on RAM as much as your wallet and your motherboard allows!
Old February 1st, 2004, 06:27 PM   #213
Major Player

The most important consideration is the applications you run, not the OS. If your application, particularly video applications, can grab 2Gb or more, then it will. If your work is better because of it, good. But the fact that XP may run great with 256Mb wouldn't be of any value.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:10 PM   #214
Tourist

What are the Benefits of Using a Dedicated Drive

My system has two 120GB drives set up in RAID 0, a P4 3.0GHz processor, and 1 GB of SDRAM. I know video takes up lots of space, but 240GB is more than enough room for what I am doing. So other than giving me additional storage space, what are the benefits of a dedicated hard drive for storing my video files?

Eric
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:36 PM   #215
Old Boot

1 - System drive doesn't get confused .. just sits there doing what it should, organise your system!

2 - Housekeeping. You know where things are . .

3 - I use 2 video drives. Drive1 for capture and other related media needed for project. Drive2 Render to new track and other interim files, tests and messy work . . we all do it! Oh, I've also got a bank of external firewire drives I use as "extra" real estate. In total for the f/ws? .. 340gbs . . yeah it soon builds up. As the prices of these drives has plummetted over the past 2 years, not giving yourself this as "another" option is really sailing close to the wind in the possibility of a total melt down or crash . think about it!?!?

4 - Space to "move" stuff about.

5 - Backups of files you want to place somewhere while you clean the disc you want . . er .. clean. Makes defrag a sinch!

There are other reasons . . Go ahead it makes sense all around,

Grazie
Old February 2nd, 2004, 01:08 PM   #216
Sponsor: JET DV

The general answer is that you want to maintain the video drive for ONLY video access. Some people even go so far as to having a third drive for audio resources.

To give an example, let's say that your OS does something that requires retrieving a program or something from the swap file. In that case, your main drive would be hit. If your video is also on that drive, the timely retrieval of the video data *may* be affected.

So, it's more of a "safety" issue to help prevent glitches when capturing or printing to tape. Is it an absolute requirement? No.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:21 PM   #217
Major Player

F11 - very useful!

I hope everyone reading this board have found the F11 key in Vegas 4 - not forgetting shift-F11 and ctrl-F11.
If not, you have something to look forward to.

I'm working on a three-page visual "keyboard & mouse gesture quick-reference". Should be ready in a couple of days.
With this I think anyone can be up and running with Vegas in a matter of minutes. The official manual is not great.

-- UPDATE Feb 4th
The Quick Reference is now online at
http://www.modernafilmer.se/se/vegas_keys.pdf

/magnus

Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM   #218

A shortcut key 6 page reference file already exists and was downloadable from RSVP.ca. I'm not sure of the exact link but I believe it is still available at their site. It's roughly 5 meg in size.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:23 PM   #219
Tourist

Thanks for the info. Guess I will put in another drive.

Eric
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:59 PM   #220
Regular Crew

Or you can get the Vegas keyboard that includes the quick reference right on the keys. I've learned many more keys since I got it.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:37 AM   #221
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : A shortcut key 6 page reference file already exists and was downloadable from RSVP.ca. I'm not sure of the exact link but I believe it is still available at their site. It's roughly 5 meg in size. -->>>

The link is
http://www.rsvp.ca/rsvp2002/category_info.cfm?sc=14
but....

"SORRY !! You Guessed it !! We were asked to STOP total support for this fine line of software ...Including these very helpful Keyboard Commands."

they are offline...

/magnus
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:11 AM   #222
Major Player

In addition to the manual, keyboard shortcuts are listed in Vegas help. However, it should be interesting to see what Magnus is coming up with.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:45 AM   #223

FilmLook Plugin Version 2.0a(b3) - Directory Not Found FIXED

The next version of the FilmLook Plugin is now available at http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/RC3_VegasFilmLooks.exe

This version should eliminate the "Directory not found" error.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:17 AM   #224
Regular Crew

FX equally spread throughout the whole event

Hi,

Let'c say I have a 9sec event and I want to apply any given FX to it. Everytime I do that it either applies the fx over a period of time in the event (kinda fade in)or it applies it to the whole timeline.

Obviously I would like my FX to be fully applied to the event , now somebody suggested me that I uncheck the "sync event" button in the FX properties and it kinda works 50% of the time. Since then it would not do it overtime but it will (50%) apply it to the whole timeline

Any ideas on how to correct this behavior

Thanks a bunch

Phil
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM   #225

Make sure you are on the FIRST keyframe when you set the effect. If you are in the middle of the clip, it will automatically add a keyframe at that point giving you your applies the fx over a period of time in the event (kinda fade in).

If you apply the effect to the track header, you will get your or it applies it to the whole timeline.

I recommend leaving "sync cursor" turned OFF unless you need it on for some specific purpose. When off, you click click to various places on the timeline and it will not take you off the first keyframe. This allows you to adjust the first keyframe while viewing some other area of the clip.

You may also want to look at the issue of my newsletter that discusses "Scope of Events" http://www.jetdv.com/tts
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...