Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 4th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #16
Wrangler

Jeff there was one thing you said that raised a flag. You mentioned you used the DVD Architect 24p Widescreen template. What camera are you shooting with? The only combination that I think would make this template legitament would be shooting with a DVX100 w/ an anamorphic lense. If your shooting with a GL-2 like your profile says- there should be no circumstance why you would want to use a 24p template. This could be the reason why DVDA is trying to re-render.
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #17
New Boot

thanks Gene,

yes you are correct, that was a fat finger in the post. I originally tried "DVD Architect compatible NTSC widescreen", and it was compressing in MPEG-2 in Vegas, then again in DVD-A.

I rendered using "windows .avi" per several suggestions, and as soon as I get back with some Taiyo Yuden media, I hope to begin 8x DVD burning!

thanks again.
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

Just go to File - Open, pick the first image, and check the box that says "load image sequence". Then they will be loaded as a series of frames.

If they are a series of still from which you want to make a slide show, just drag them to the timeline and use Randy's suggestions to change the default length and overlap amounts.
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Audio Sync failure due to speed difference

Hey guys,

I need your help. I recently did a multicam set of for a christmas musical. My attempt to capture sound directly for the board to a s-vhs deck failed. The only decent audio tracks that I have available are from 3 on-cam mics. The audio engineered burned my a copy of the program's audio that was RECORDED ON A CASSETTE TAPE onto a CD. The tracks that I got from this CD (when sync with my original audio) are a little faster. I suppose it is the difference between the tape speed and mini-dv tape speed (Am I correct?) Is there anything that can be done to correct this difference? So far I have tried to make adjustments to the time-strecth feature under properties, but I am not sure what setting (method) I should use (if any). Also I tried to use the Simple Delay track FX but I don't know if that can solve the problem. Can someone please help?

Thanks.

Al
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #20
RED Code Chef

What happened when you tried to change the lenght of the audio?
If it sounds good enough to you, then it should be fine. So did it
not work, or?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #21

What if you simply CTRL-Drag the extra audio to the correct length? Make sure you have it set to Preserve Pitch!
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #22
Regular Crew

You can go into the audio clips' properties and set the total clip length equal to the length of the identically equivalent video clip. You will want to make sure the preserve pitch method of timestretch is selected.
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #23

<<<-- Originally posted by Bruce A. Christenson : You can go into the audio clips' properties and set the total clip length equal to the length of the identically equivalent video clip. You will want to make sure the preserve pitch method of timestretch is selected. -->>>

Hmmm.... I think we just gave two methods to do the exact same thing! That's the great thing about Vegas - so many ways to do the same thing that each person can use the method they like!
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #24
Major Player

Even with Vegas' excellent audio handling I think it is too risky to stretch your audio. At least you must listen VERY carefully on quality equipment to make sure it's OK.

I would rather cut the video into pieces short enough to to keep sync "good enough" and change between them. You said it was multicam, so some cuts you must have been planning to make anyway. Sync up the pieces as best you can and keep the audio quality.

EDIT:
Slowing down or speeding up (parts of) the video tracks is probably easier to do without noticable loss of quality.
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #25
Inner Circle

The pitch shifting filters in Vegas don't work all the time. You might be able to get away with not pitch shifting at all. You might still have to watch out for aliasing. Listen with headphones or high quality speakers to make sure nothing weird is happening. Don't set levels on headphones though (they're too good- seriously!).
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

It worked very well.
I used time shift under properties and preserved the pitch. The audio clips are now in synch. Unfortunately, the audio captured by the audio engineer was not the greatness. I will probably mix the audio captured by my GL2 with the audio capture by the engineer ( it seems as if he was mixing the audio for the audience and did not make adjustments for recording purposes- because the levels are off).

Thanks again!

Al
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #27
Trustee

this reminds me to ask a similar/related question.

ain't DV itself mpeg2 already? why all the decoding/re-encoding? why not just dump all the digital data from dv directly to DVD but just edited with cuts (no titles, no special fx, nuthin, just plain old footage being cut up)?
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #28

No. DV and MPEG are two different animals. To put DV onto a playable DVD, it must be converted to MPEG2 first.

MPEG2 uses a totally different compression scheme than DV. DV compresses each frame but each frame is complete. MPEG creates one complete frame and then several partial frames followed by another complete frame and several partial frames...
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #29
Regular Crew

hey

I was playing around with rendering video to 24frames and i went under event properties and lowered the undersample rate... its spread the event out across the board and unsynced it to the audio. I have since converted to 24 frames the correct way, but I wounder what that undersample and playback rate modifications are good for?

Michael Estepp
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #30
RED Code Chef

Please try to use a descriptive title for threads. Not everybody
has time to see each threads and a name that actually describes
the question or subject will help them find the important threads
and you to get more change of people knowing the answer.

I renamed the thread for you.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...