Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 16th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #436
New Boot

Thank you for the quick response. I think I may have found the answer, I found an old post in response to a similiar question on another vegas forum.

I believe I was trying to PTT a MPEG 2 file instead of an AVI file. I will try it in the morning and see if that was the problem.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old February 16th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #437
Sponsor: JET DV

Trying to PTT an MPEG2 file would simply cause it to render to an AVI file before starting the camera. Since the camera is actually starting, something else is going on. I still suspect camera settings.
Old February 16th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #438
Regular Crew

Mixing 24pa and 30i footage

I rendered a bunch of 24pa and 30i footage in after effects. I want to render all the clips in Vegas, but whenever I do, everything looks interlaced. How do I make the entire project progressive?
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #439
Major Player

text fade in and out

Hello all,
Just a quick question, When I have been using the Text provided in Vegas Media Generator, I have been using a Video Envelope to fade the text in and out... The Text is place in its own video track above the video i am overlaying it on.. Is this the easiest and correct way to do this ?? is there another way??

Thanks,
Mike
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:11 AM   #440
Major Player

With your mouse you can grab an upper corner of the text event (or any event) and pull it in towards the centre. You will see a fade-like icon appearing when you hover on the corner area. Do this with audio, too.
Old February 17th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #441
Major Player

Hello,

Thank you Tor, I was not aware of this little goody.. This is a good trick..

Thanks !!!
Mike M.
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #442
RED Code Chef

Please also see this thread for a fast Vegas introduction
with what does what, keyboard shortcuts etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #443

Yes, the text should be placed on a track above the video. And, as you have seen, there are a variety of ways to accomplish fading in and out. The simplest is to hover over the upper right or upper left edge of the event, get the quarter moon icon, and click and drag toward the center. There are also scripts available that will add the fades for you.
Old February 17th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #444
New Boot

Well it's working now. The problem was the onboard 1394 port. I installed a Canopus ACEDVIO card and the Preview on Device and PTT both work fine. If I try pluging back into the onboard port, video capture works but not preview or PTT.

Thanks for the quick feedback on the file format issue.

Paul.
Old February 17th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #445
Trustee

Vegas 4 with Red 3GL vs. Premiere Pro with After Effects 6?

I am a beginner and want to know which of these systems I should settle on. Is one suited to certain tasks better than the other? Tentatively I must say I found Vegas 4 more intuitive than Premiere Pro. What are the prospects of Vegas being updated by Sony? I would hate to make a time investment on Vegas if it died at 4.0

I work with DV (software rendering) to make documentaries and short films.
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #446

First of all, which NLE are you more comforatable with? Use the one that suits YOU.

Premiere and After Effects work together quite well. However, Boris integrates directly to the Vegas timeline - you don't even have to switch applications.

Ultimately, you need to try the demos and see what matches your workflow and needs. Besides, the other combinations (Premiere + Boris and Vegas + After Effects) might be a consideration as well.
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #447

Good to hear it's working. What kind of port is the onboard port? Is it, by chance, a VIA chipset? If it is, you may be able to get it working with a driver update.
Old February 17th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #448
Major Player

zoom limits

I've been doing alot of zooming a 16:9 box onto 4:3 footage to correct for framing errors made by 'Uncle Charlie' (who videotaped a friend's wedding that I was in).

Has anyone found a combination of filters to work around the pixelation that occurs when 'overzoomed'? Maybe some combination of unsharpen mask and gaussian blur?

Scott
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #449
Major Player

Mike,
As a variation on the fade in/out method, try this:
Create a text event. Open pan/crop on the event.
Doubleclick the kreyframe-line at a half second after the beginning and a half second before the end. Now go to the very beginning and pull the frame to your left until the text disappears to the right of the preview window. At the very last point, pull the frame to the right, watch the text disappear to the left in the preview window. Now play the whole thing.

If you make a note of the numbers you get in the Center box when you've pulled the frame, you could just type it it next time, to get an exact repeat of the movement.
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #450

Considering the source, if you zoom in you are losing information. So, there's really very little you can do besides what you've already stated.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...