Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 19th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #451
Wrangler

Edward- I thought you'd get a kick out of this....

http://www.sharbor.com/build-yours/vegas/
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #452
Sponsor: JET DV

Cool. Maybe they should include a copy of Tsunami with each one! I also find it interesting the Vegas is listed under "Video Editing Card"
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #453
Old Boot

Edward! You didn't tell me you were into PC building - as well?!?! - "With every copy of our new Editing tool for Vegas you get a Free PC!" Edward, don't know HOW you do it - honest?!?!

Grazie
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #454
Trustee

I can't seem to customize the dern prices... I keep getting 0.00. Does this mean I get one for free?
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #455

But, Grazie, then I'd have to charge over $3000 for Tsunami instead of $30 :-)

Imran, maybe you should call and ask them if they're free? After all, that's what the website said! :-)

(ps. if they are, I'll take one!)
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #456
Major Player

Secondary Color Correct questions

Couple things... I'm doing something screwy here, and can't figure out what.

a) On an over exposed shot, when I adjust to make everything look richer, the dress on one young woman changes shades and becomes too blue. I dropped on the secondary color correct to isolate her dress, and couldn't get the "show Mask" to do anything/show up so I could extend the range to get the parts in both the shade and the sun. I've used "show mask" successfully before but can't figure out what I toggled on/off this particular time around. I removed the effect, tried again. Nothing. I checked the preview FX window, but that wasn't it. Restarted Vegas and "show mask" worked fine. What do I look for that I might be doing wrong or have accidentally hit/turned on when that happens?

b) When applying effects that are meant to last for the duration of the event, as opposed to the frame I'm parked on (which I'm using to spot for the changes I'm making) if I set an in/out point shouldn't it "take" for that whole section? Not sure why I'm seeing changes in the numbers over time as the clip plays. (sigh)
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #457

Not sure about your first problem. You may want to try soloing that track. Or maybe check the split screen options?

For the second one, you have to set the proper keyframes. Apparently you have two keyframes on the keyframe timeline. What you are seeing is it changing gradually from the values in the first keyframe to the values in the second keyframe. If you don't want the values to change, make sure both keyframes are the same (copy the first one and paste it on the second one, for example).
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #458
Wrangler

Yeah someone should put ALL the options on and go ahead and order it. Make printouts and copies for your records and when they try and bill your credit card $6,000 contest that the website stated it was $0.

Seriously though they are probably ashamed to post their prices- they are sky high. I can build the same thing for literally half the price. That's some major overhead!
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #459
Regular Crew

It doesn't look like the card would automatically be charged anything but the $20 shipping. But that is sad. I built a system much better than those, a month and a half ago, for less than half of what they are charging.
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #460
Major Player

Does Vegas support GL2's frame movie mode footage?

I am wondering does Vegas support GL2's frame movie mode footage? I've heard they support 24P, but dunno about the frame movie mode....

Another question is that I notice in Vegas, you open new footage that is 24P or regular NTSC which is the 29.97fps... What happens if you DO use frame movie mode on the GL2 or other camcorder, then try to save/open as 29.97fps or 24fps? This might be one of those FAQs....
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #461

Just treat it normally. Capture normally, edit normally, and print normally.
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #462
Regular Crew

My settings for export to quicktime

This is the most successfull set of preferences I've used for exporting to quicktime. Please share yours.

http://www.instantclassic.org/ftp/we...tings-main.gif
http://www.instantclassic.org/ftp/we...ings-video.gif
http://www.instantclassic.org/ftp/we...ings-audio.gif
http://www.instantclassic.org/ftp/we...-streaming.gif

-- Andre
Old February 19th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #463
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

Vegas usually knows the clip is frame mode. it plays it back same as any 29.97 clip ( interlace). from vegas explorer you can highlight a clip and vegas will give you the clips specs below IE:720x480x24, 29.97fps then it will say either interlace or progressive ( frame mode).

you can set up your project properties as 24fps .. then vegas will delete frames/fields during play back so it equals 24fps. frame mode usually comes out quite "jerkey" played back as 24fps.
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #464
Tourist

Bump

Has anyone else used this book? I'm thinking of ordering it from Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...703569-1419869 ) but I'm not sure if I should. Is it very helpful for someone totally new to Vegas and somewhat new to working with video?
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #465

Yes, it is a good book. So are all of the other resources mentioned in this thread.

I can definitely recommend the book and DVDs by Douglas Spotted Eagle as well as the DVDs by Gary Kleiner. Also look at my newsletters mentioned above.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...