Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #466
Tourist

Thanks for the info Edward! Nice tips!
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #467
RED Code Chef

I would set the project to 30p (or 24p if you want) and not at
interlaced.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #468
RED Code Chef

It would be nice if you included how large a movie would get for
a specific number of minutes/seconds. On our Lady X project
we use the Sorenson codec with IMU 4:1 audio @ 22 khz. Our
video is 320x180 (widescreen). We get 7 minutes in 35 MB or
something.

I'm always wondering why everyone is choosing good on their
render settings and not best...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #469
Inner Circle

Qdesign for audio sounds crappy unless you get the pro codec. MPEG4 audio is good, but needs QT6 to play back.

sorenson3 is the best video codec I believe, definitely better than MPEG4 video at low bitrates. The pro version of the sorenson3 codec will give you better quality.
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #470
Regular Crew

V4 and 3D applications

So, does anyone here use any major (or minor) 3-D applications in conjunction with Vegas?

I have been experimenting with Bryce 5 animating some moving text against a green background and have found that Vegas does a great job at chroma keying out the green. I am getting some transparency on the text's surface (reflections on the texture in Bryce I am assuming), but I'm sure this is correctable.

I am suprised how easily V4 & Bryce play together (though I shouldn't be).

Also, has anyone happened upon the cool "Monty-Python" animation tecnique that is SO simple to do in Vegas with alpha channels?
Vegas keyframing rules!

Shane
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #471
Wrangler

As others have stated- treat it normally, after all it IS. It's still 29.97fps interlaced. The fields are doubled giving it a film'ic "look", however in reality it's no different than any other 29.97 interlaced footage in regards to working with it in an NLE's timeline.
Old February 20th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #472
Regular Crew

There was a discussion about this on the Vegas Forums on DMN that might be of interest:
http://dmnforums.com/cgi-bin/display...0113185041.htm
Old February 20th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #473
Sponsor: JET DV

I don't happen to use one but am not surprised that Vegas works well with them.
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #474
Major Player

When I bring my frame mode clips into Vegas, I set the project properties to progressive. Is there some reason not to do that? It sure does render a lot faster that way.
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #475
Inner Circle

Default Track Motion frames

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has the defualt track motion frames, as for some reason, mine have all vanished, and i can only view frames which i have cretead and saved.

basically, ive lost all my Widescreen, NTSC and PAL default configs..

I dont particularly want to reinstall vegas, but if anyone knwos where i can find the config files which i can just throw into my vegas install directory, that would be great.

thanks in advance
Pete
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #476

You may try a repair install instead of a full uninstall/reinstall. However, you *may* have to resort to the full uninstall/reinstall to get them back. The default presets are not something that's easily copied between machines.
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:12 AM   #477
Regular Crew

Edward,

I can now produce MPEG2 files using the default settings in Vegas and have MyDVD burn the DVD. It works the first time I try the burn. If I make changes to the project in Vegas, re-render as an MPEG2 file and use MyDVD to burn another updated version, MyDVD balks at writing the file and issues an 'invalid mpeg2 file' error.

I noticed that MyDVD creates a sub-folder during the first burn attempt. It uses the MPEG2 filename and a suffix of '_ses'. As long as that sub-folder exists, I can't get a successful repeat burn.
If I delete that folder, then the very same MPEG2 file burns fine.

I don't understand why, but if I want to reuse a filename for an updated version, I must delete that filename_ses folder and then MyDVD is happy to burn the disk.

This explains why I could get a draft version to burn okay and then MyDVD wouldn't burn the finished project under the same name.

What made me suspicious of the filename_ses folder is the way MyDVD handles the saving of the DVD project. It prompts for a project name and then creates a sub-folder with that name under the MYDVD's folder. At the prompt, if you duplicate an existing name, it doesn't ask if you want to replace the existing file, if refuses to let you continue until you give it a different name. I'm in the habit of deleting this pesky DVD project folder before attempting a new burn.

Have you ever seen this problem?

Joseph

Joseph
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:48 PM   #478
Major Player

Blue on face from sun glare/correction needed

Hi all,
I've been trying to track down something, and while I now know what's going on, I can't figure out how to correct it.

There's a blue flare on the side of the grooms face, at the jaw line, which didn't show up on my TV's at home (saw it on the father of the bride's huge new set) until I cranked up the color past where I normally have it on my own sets. I then managed to zoom in, in Vegas (after figuring out where to look), and spotted, albiet faintly, what shows blue on his. Thing is, the wedding was outside, in the shade of a beautiful arbor, but over the groom's shoulder the sun blasts away on the guests. And it's that light that's causing the blue. I've tried the Broadcast filter, and even pulled it down further than the most extreme setting, but that only trashes the whole shot. The blue remained. I tried several layers of the secondary color correct, with each layer carefully nabbing a little more which I shifted toward flesh tone, then lowered the saturation way down. At present it looks passable, but I'm concerned that blown up on his mondo TV the tweaks are going to look stupider than even the blue did (though it was pretty bad). So my question is two-fold:

1) is there a spot filter color correction plug-in I can try?
2) is there a better way to handle this with what I've already got?
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:19 PM   #479

Re: Blue on face from sun glare/correction needed

<<<-- Originally posted by Marcia Janine Galles : 1) is there a spot filter color correction plug-in I can try? -->>>

You can effect a small spot by using the video on multiple tracks, applying the cookie cutter to just cut out that one small area, and the modify the lower track to eliminate the blue.
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:22 PM   #480

The Video_TS and Audio_TS folders for the DVD have to be created during the encode process for burning to the DVD. Sounds like MyDVD has problems overwriting the folder it creates those in. At least you've found that manually deleting it allows MyDVD to work correctly. It's safe to delete it since it will be re-created in the next DVD creation process.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...