Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 21st, 2004, 09:52 PM   #481
Regular Crew

Slow Motion??????

Hey folks,
I want to put a clip in slow motion, and retain the audio, but have that also be the rate at which I sample the video... This is not possible with the video envelopes event velocity. Any suggestions?

Michael Estepp
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:26 PM   #482
Sponsor: JET DV

As long as you only need a SINGLE speed (i.e. not a variable speed), hold down the CTRL key and resize the clip. This will "stretch" or "shrink" the clip and the audio will be adjusted as well.
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:55 PM   #483
Regular Crew

Thats a cool tip, thanks... is there any other way to do it? This method actually stutters the audio and doesn't slow the speed, is there anything else you can suggest?

Michael Estepp
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:39 AM   #484
Major Player

Does Vegas use DirectX functions when rendering?

Hi,

I can't make up my mind about this question - is it silly or not ?

What got me thinking was that when I run my computer with the case open I could feel my gfx card get alot hotter while rendering in Vegas... so a thought was born...maybe Vegas uses directX filters/functions to speed up things...and then just maybe those instructions are being executed on the GPU?

Or maybe everything just head up cause the CPU was working 100%...

Please don't laught yourself silly about this :-)

// Lazze \\
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:44 AM   #485
Trustee

DVD Arch must recompress into its own MPEG2 codec?

i've been using ATI's MMC 8.9 to capture old VHS i have. i have a tape that is 5 hrs 30 min. i already captured @MPEG2, 1Megabit @low res. after finnishing the capture i have a 3GB file. that should fit a 4.7GB DVD-R media easily. how come DVD Arch has to recompress and says that my file is too large (23GB?) and still needs to recompress? i don't get it.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:50 AM   #486
Inner Circle

yeah i thought as much...

thanx Edward
Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:56 AM   #487
Inner Circle

direct x is a series of drivers which run computer based (ie number crunching) commands...

most of vegas plugins are DirectX, reliant, expecially the audio plugins.

Direct X wont have any adverse effect on your graphics card due to the fact that the rendering is done thru your ram and cpu, BEFORE your graphics card takes over to create the image u see.

things like Hollywood effects and some openGL apps like combustion and some pinnacle apps do use your gfx card and its respective drivers...

with vegas though, it doesnt. (oh unless your running Boris, sorry)

i think the heat your seeing is your mobo automaitcally picking up that the gfx card is idle, so to save power, it may have dropped the rpms of your gfx card fan.

or you could have answereed ur own question :)
Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:58 AM   #488
Inner Circle

good call Edward, another one is to cut the scene in b&w. depending on the shade of blue, you may be able to get away with it :)
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:02 AM   #489
Inner Circle

SoFo have a pitch changer plugin for your audio, while, vegas can work on teh video, u can export the audio run the plug, and reimport the audio to your project.. but Edward's is a better idea IMO...
pitch changer and time stretch plugins are ok, but costly if u dont use them much..
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:17 AM   #490
Wrangler

The "stuttering" you hear could be from the flange introduced from slowing it down too much. There is a limit to where the audio can be played slowely before flange is introduced.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:08 PM   #491

If the MPEG2 file is not DVD compatible, DVD Architect MUST recompress it. The final size will vary depending on the the bitrate you choose.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:17 PM   #492

While Vegas plugins are based on DirectX, the video card doesn't make any difference when editing. CPU speed, bus speeds, hard drive speeds, RAM speed.... these will affect the rendering speeds. The CPU WILL get a lot hotter during rendering which, I suppose, could affect other items within the case.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:23 PM   #493
Regular Crew

Stupid Newbie question

I'll say I'm sorry right of the bat here. I downloaded the demo's for Vegas 4.0 and Screenblast. I am not used to the 4+lines for text/video etc. Do they explain better in a manual how to use them all together. The text still work's in the video line etc. So whats the point of all of them? It's still all very new but very frustrating to me. Can you please explain this?
Also when I play back a video in the viewing box I get all kinds of blurry lines through the middle. Is that normal before rendering, and will it go away?
One more thing, when doing text like a credit scroll. Why can't you put a body along with the headline etc? Do you have to just keep making one per box and putting them together? Thanks in advance.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:30 PM   #494

Multiple video lines allows for complex compositing options. As you have seen, text gets placed on a video track. Video placed on a lower video track will show through behind that text. You could have additional video tracks above that to place additional pictures (such as the "bug" in the corner of most TV programs)...

Preview quality will depend on the quality level setting and the power of your computer. If the computer has to do a lot of work, you need the preview either on a lower setting. Also, frame rate will drop when the computer cannot keep up.

Not sure what you mean by the "credit scroll". You can have 3 different types of entries in the "credit scroll" tool. Of course you could use the standard text box and add keyframes to scroll it. You can also create the text in Photoshop and use keyframes in Vegas to properly scroll it.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:35 PM   #495

You're only other options is to export the audio to some other program (such as Sound Forge) and modify the speed there.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...