Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:34 PM   #496
Major Player

Is there a way to zoom in to the pixel level in the preview window in Vegas, something akin to Photoshop? I can get at the big bits when working with the secondary color correct, but not the glow. It's maddening.

I tried the cookie cutter btw, but needed more careful animation, so I put on a garbage matte, but I'm still not happy with how it looks. Bottom line, correctly exposing the image for what was happening under the arbor, and ignoring the hot white in the distance beyond the groom, was a costly mistake. In hindsight, I'm not totally sure what I could've/should've done differently cuz the rest of the shot looks pretty good, albiet still a little dark for my taste. I wanted to string a couple of Pro Lights to hang down off the limbs, but the bride wanted "natural" light. Should've pushed them harder on that.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:47 PM   #497
Wrangler

Edward, how would you match the speed of your clip if you import the audio into Sound Forge? Say if I used Ctrl+drag to slow a clip down- how would I get the unknown % speed figure matched.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:23 PM   #498
Regular Crew

Old Time Silent Movie Effect

I am struggling to reduce the frame rate of a Vegas project to produce the old-time silent movie effect. The video looks great on the preview with the project set to 12 fps, but Vegas only gives me 3 options when I go to render for NTSC (29.9997 & 24 with 2 different pulldown modes). I cannot seem to render the video with the low frame rate that an old-time silent movie requires.

If anyone knows what to do, please tell me.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:40 PM   #499
Sponsor: JET DV

You really can't zoom in like you can with Photoshop. If you set your preview quality to one of the full settings, you'll get the full 720x480 image. You can also resize the preview window so that you can see the whole 720x480 image.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:43 PM   #500

You CAN get the speed so it's not really unknown. Just right-click the clip, choose properties, and look at the "Playback Rate". Another way would be to render out the original cut clip to a new file, resize the the proper amount, and then make the same size correction in the other program.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:47 PM   #501

Try this:

Pull the clips in normally in a normal framerate project. Now, right-click each clip, choose Properties, and change the "Undersample Rate".

Will this give you the results you want?
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:00 PM   #502
Regular Crew

Sounds like ATI compressed it at something lower than 720x480, which isn't DVD legal/compatible. It's gotta come up to spec.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:31 AM   #503
Trustee

Deinterlacing and FRAME mode

Hi,

Yesterday was the second day (on a shedule of 6) of shooting for my next short film. In the preproduction process, we decided to shoot this project with an XL1 in FRAME mode for the "film look".

This day was really great! 16 planned shots in a house with lot of them involving children. They were very cooperatives.

But I made a mistake. The 6 firsts shots were filmed in NORMAL mode instead of FRAME. So I will need to detinterlace it in post.

I never had has to do dinterlacing until now since I always use FRAME mode for narrative work. But the day before this shooting session, I covered a live event in NORMAL mode and I forgot to change this setting back to frame.

What is the best way, preferably using Vegas 4.0, to deinterlace theses 6 clips so that they mixes well with those in FRAME MODE?

Thank you very much!
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:38 AM   #504
Trustee

yes i was capturing @320x144 or somn like that. now i'm gonna use vegas capture... should work better with DVD Arch
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:38 AM   #505
Regular Crew

Thank you Edward,

I will try it tonight, and post a reply as soon as I know more.

Brad
Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:21 AM   #506

Run it through a converter can capture via firewire. You'll be much happier with the results.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:50 PM   #507
Major Player

Convert DV to widescreen DVD

Sorry if this has been asked before, can't find anything with the search function.

Well, a friend of mine asked if I can make his regular DV footage (I shot) to widescreen DVD.

The way I figure, DV captures 3:2 ratio, normally left and right get chopped a little off, but for widescreen, the top and bottom get chopped a little off instead, and waala, you have widescreen, right?

Well, went into Vegas 4.0, select "new", and then "DV 720x480 widescreen", and use the crop box preset to convert DV footage to widescreen, and render it back out, so far so good.

Bring up DVD Architecture, select "DV 720x480 widescreen", and bring in the new footage. It has a darn big black border all around it. What is the deal?

I burn a short test footage to DVD, play it on PC, and it has a large black border all around it again, wasting real estate.

Anybody know what is going on? How do we eliminate the useless black border?
Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:30 PM   #508
RED Code Chef

It renders faster when set to progressive? That should be the
case since it is. You should not set it to interlaced since it isn't.
Vegas Effects take interlacing into account, so that's why it should
be set properly for example.

Glen: "fields are doubled" -> that is totally depended on the
camera that does the "progressive" shooting or emulation. A
true progressive camera will not do a field doubling, only the
worst camera's will. The Canon GLx/XL1 range definitely doesn't
do field doubling. It does a special form of blending which is
better than most post algorithms.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:05 PM   #509
Regular Crew

DV can be either 4:3 or 16:9. If it is 4:3 and you want to convert it to widescreen 16:9, you can do that by adding a black border on the sides or cutting off some of the top or bottom.

Set the project properties to 1.2121 pixel ratio to tell Vegas that you want 16:9 widescreen. Then use the track frame motion or pan and crop to slice the top and bottom off. If you right click in a pan and crop, you can tell Vegas to set it to fit the output format. (Sorry, going by memory here, as I don't have Vegas on this machine.)

Then render out to widescreen MPEG2 or AVI file, depending on if you want to compress in DVDA or not. This should now stay without any extra borders, as long as DVDA thinks it is widescreen.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:41 PM   #510
Major Player

Thanks. I got it going.

Turned out I did everything right the first time, except when rendering, I did not select template as "NTSC DV Widescreen", it was "NTSC DV".

Well, now to render one hours worth and take it over to my friend's...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...